<  DeepPulse  ~  Heretic

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 1:34 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 1:41 pm
User avatarPosts: 63Location: Planet EarthJoined: October 14th, 2007, 5:28 pm
So I'm both a little excited and a little disappointed. I'd love to get the new "Heretic" release, but it's only available on iTunes. :(

Are there any plans in the future for either a physical or lossless-digital release of this album? Is there a particular reason you are choosing to release it on iTunes as opposed to say Bandcamp, which is becoming incredibly popular for digital-distribution and allows lossless and lossy formats?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 2:06 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
An experiment to gauge interest as CD's etc are increasingly problematic with illegal downloading etc.

My digital distributor doesn't deal with Bandcamp.
Might look into it but currently iTunes is far more popular and wider reaching, and the name Bandcamp alone is rather off-putting.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
I don't understand the aversion to the name at all. Maybe there is just some reference or connection I'm missing here, but I don't associate anything negative to the name.

Either way, I've seen it being used by almost every artist/label I follow (and there are a lot of them) and it seems quite nice. It allows you to sell digital and physical albums at the same time; it allows you to put up previews of songs/albums, much the same way Soundcloud does; you can combine extra files (like a ZIP file of artwork) with the uploads; there is a system for a "name your own price" deal where you can either fix a price or put a minimum requirement on the amount donated; they even have a system for free-download codes (like if you give away a code good for one free download with the purchase of a vinyl record.) And on top of all that I think it might be free to use for the artist (not totally sure though).

Also, with regards to CDs and illegal downloading, selling things through iTunes does not stop that in any way. I've seen tons of iTunes exclusives being uploaded to places with the buyer's personal data stripped away. Ever since iTunes got rid of it's DRM with it's upgrade to iTunes Plus, nothing has stood in the way of people obtaining things illegally.

Just sayin', B. I'm not trying to make waves or anything, but it's just a shame that your music is being offered in such limited formats, and at such relatively low quality (bit rates). Just trying to offer any help that I can on behalf of your fans.

That being said, if it never comes out in any other format, I'll still buy it from iTunes. Just like I've purchased a copy of everything you've released that I could get my hands on (physically or digitally).

Cheers.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 3:04 pm
Another vote for a CD version, although I'm fully aware of how pathetically low in number our ranks are.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 4:35 pm
B wrote:
An experiment to gauge interest as CD's etc are increasingly problematic with illegal downloading etc.

My digital distributor doesn't deal with Bandcamp.
Might look into it but currently iTunes is far more popular and wider reaching, and the name Bandcamp alone is rather off-putting.

You could always use cdbaby.com. Their website is less than impressive in terms of appearance, but they'll create CDs and upload your music to iTunes, Rhapsody, etc. They're also supportive of Bandcamp (if you can ever get over their off-putting name). and, from what I understand, you keep almost all of the money you make from it.

Edit: You'll probably find this advice to be stupid, but maybe you could do what NIN did. Release it for free, but let people buy physical copies if they want to. Or maybe you could do what Younger Brother's doing right now on Pledgemusic.com. Have people donate money to support you while you write an album, offering incentives to donate. For example, if they pay $30, you'll send them an auto-graphed CD or poster. Something along those lines.

The NIN way may not work for you since NIN's a mainstream artist known by pretty much everyone, but the Younger Brother way might. Twisted Records is pretty much bankrupt and they (Simon Posford and Benji Vaughn) have a small but dedicated following, yet they've almost got half of their target amount and there's still a month left to help them (plus, almost all of the albums that they've made have been leaked before they were officially released, too, kind of like you). I think that that's something that would work for you.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 4:52 pm
I believe that Lustmord releases require far too much attention to detail for them to be left to CDBaby and the likes to handle. And the Younger Brother method seems kind of semi-professional, doesn't it? Can't really see B. lowering his standard in those terms.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 5:08 pm
gojko88 wrote:
And the Younger Brother method seems kind of semi-professional, doesn't it?

What in the world sounds "unprofessional" about that? Let's face it, times are changing and so the methods of producing and funding musical projects will have to as well. There are a number of (seemingly) viable alternatives to the old standards of music dissemination. Besides, how does releasing a lossy-only version of an album on iTunes constitute "professional". I just don't see where you're coming from here.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that iTunes is a very good indicator of an album's "appeal". I can think of only *one* person I know (out of *all* the people I know) who actually buys music on iTunes or Amazon's digital stores. But I know at least a handful of people who still collect and buy music the way I do.

I'm just trying to be realistic. Not inflammatory.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 5:20 pm
I'm sorry for not being clear enough - I'm the first one to say that only a physical release is a proper release, and compress all my music to lossless formats exclusively. When I said semi-professional, I was referring to the proposed recording process - depending on whether enough individuals will donate enough money for the project to be properly concluded, and therefore not being completely independent as an artist. Since I know that B. finances his Lustmord work from his primary job, and not from Lustmord and its sales (which I imagine to be insufficient in the least), I can't see how he could fit into that template. The dependance on cold hard cash just seems to direct and obvious.

Of course, this is just a fan speaking, B. is the only one whose viewpoint is relevant, I'm sure he'll give a proper reply.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 5:23 pm
Fair enough. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 5:44 pm
Please please release this on CD too. I am one of those who still get the CD's, while I don't get the "digital downloads"... Are we really that scarce?...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 1:42 am
User avatarPosts: 2Location: Chepstow, Wales, UKJoined: January 20th, 2010, 6:32 am
I'm purchasing Heretic from iTunes right now. If a hard copy is ever released, I'll be purchasing that as well.

Thanks, B.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 5:13 am
Clearly you can't please everybody all of the time.

Some kind of CD release at some stage isn't ruled out but by no means definite.

At least this way these tracks are available at all.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 5:53 am
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
I buy a lot from Itunes store, and really, few people will notice any sound difference between uncompressed CD:s and the format from the Itunes store. Do a double blind testing between a wav and a lossy format in decent bitrate if you are in doubt.

I'll purchase this right away, thank you.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 6:55 am
User avatarPosts: 2Location: Chepstow, Wales, UKJoined: January 20th, 2010, 6:32 am
Heretic one word review: Superb.

Offline Profile E-mail WWW