<  Music  ~  Atrium Carceri

PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 10:49 am
Posts: 167Location: EnglandJoined: December 30th, 2006, 11:44 am
What are people's views on this project? Even though they seem to get good press, I find their music to be too computerised and lacking any real grit, leading to a concept lacking any execution. On a lot of occassions, it resembles a ropey Silent Hill soundtrack, with predictable, cheesy compositions. I've heard some of their work compared to Lustmord and Inade, but in my opinion, it's entry level 'spooky' ambient.

Your thoughts?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 9th, 2009, 2:36 am
User avatarPosts: 1Location: California, United StatesJoined: April 9th, 2009, 2:27 am
I'll commit thread necromancy, and resurrect this thread!

I'd like to say, that Atrium Carceri is amazing, and deserves more credit than the project receives.

Since the two years that this thread has been made, Atrium Carceri has definitely matured. I always look forward to any new Atrium Carceri material.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 10th, 2009, 2:21 am
User avatarPosts: 76Location: SwedenJoined: October 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
I've been trying really hard to find hidden gems among Cold Meat releases, and it ain't that easy. I kind of like All That Remains by Coph Nia, and Strife by Desiderii Marginis. However, the kind of music that they make generally ain't my cup of tea. Too much Aleister Crowley(just listen to Opus 77 by Coph Nia, in which he tries to quote Crowley's laws in a deep and sombre voice, with the only problem being that he has a Swedish accent as wide as a truck...), too much mysticism and magick, too many industrial elements, well, too much in general. Cold Meat music feels more like soundtracks to occult pseudo-rituals than music to fall asleep to. Generally, I wan't my ambient to be relatively quiet, droning and minimalistic, in order for me to be immersed and even fall asleep to it.

Concerning Atrium Carceri, I tried out pretty much all of his full-lengths, and the one I stuck with is Cellblock. Although I don't listen to it often, I think it has a nice vibe and concept, a little Silent Hill-ish. I'd say that Simon Heath is one of the better composers in the Cold Meat league, if not the best.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 10th, 2009, 2:50 am
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
Adversarius: You've got the exakt same problem as I have with that Coph Nia album. It has been hidden in my basement for 5–6 years now.

Quote:
Generally, I wan't my ambient to be relatively quiet, droning and minimalistic, in order for me to be immersed and even fall asleep to it.

Same here. That is pretty much how I prefer my ambient period. Even Lustmord is a bit too bombastic to sleep a whole night to. Jonathan Coleclough and Thomas Köner works for sleeping though. And being awake. Magical stuff I treasure highly and has none of that new age sickly vibe to them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 10th, 2009, 3:36 am
Posts: 15Location: Virginia, USAJoined: September 2nd, 2008, 12:16 pm
I enjoy Atrium Carceri as much as I enjoy Lustmord. Then again, I don't sleep to either of them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 10th, 2009, 7:12 am
Posts: 167Location: EnglandJoined: December 30th, 2006, 11:44 am
Just can not take the video game vibe his albums have. I like droning, minimal ambient but I also really enjoy the more dynamic stuff, ala Aural Hypnox and Loki releases. Atrium Carceri just sound too plastic, with barely any organic sounds whatsoever. I read in an interview with him that he thinks the guitar is obsolete, but I've heard far more forward thinking music centred around the use of guitars. A visionary he is not, imo.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 16th, 2009, 12:34 pm
While on the topic of Cold Meat bands - I recently got my hands on the "Metamorphyses" album by Raison D`être, and it surely blew me away. Dark ambient at its finest, definately recommended!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: June 6th, 2009, 9:15 am
User avatarPosts: 23Location: EuropeJoined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:41 pm
I enjoy the latest AC but found the tracks ended a little too abruptly.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 5:05 pm
Krupp wrote:
I enjoy Atrium Carceri as much as I enjoy Lustmord. Then again, I don't sleep to either of them.

+1

Although I can't really compare the two, Lustmord sounds a bit more "serious" (definitely need a better word), more ominous in a way, while Atrium Carceri is indeed easier to get into and has more influences integrated into its sound, which makes it more diverse in terms of genre (which isn't a plus in itself, just a feature). Likely, Atrium Carceri has more conventional song structures in terms of length and repetition, while Lustmord seems completely non-conformist in that regard.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: May 10th, 2012, 9:55 am
Sorry to necromance but I'm going to anyways. If I were to compare the two there are undeniable similarities but Atrium Carceri has In my opinion a lot less of a build up within their songs (those of which that I've heard and it has been some years since I've listened to them.) than Lustmord. Also AC isn't quite as harsh or bleak sounding in my opinion. I prefer Lustmord. I'm going to actually go listen to both of them again now and compare.

Offline Profile E-mail