<  Music  ~  Top 10 [Off Topic Comments]

PostPosted: June 24th, 2006, 4:48 pm
Joy Division being one of my favorite bands... I wish I was around to see them :/ You are a lucky man B.

dnn.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 26th, 2006, 9:57 am
User avatarPosts: 41Location: Currently playing in the sandbox that is ArizonaJoined: May 19th, 2006, 10:54 am
Wow, I was way too young for most of this music! :(

PostPosted: June 26th, 2006, 10:09 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
In Spades wrote:
Wow, I was way too young for most of this music! :(

The music is still out there and worth getting...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 27th, 2006, 10:53 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
B,
After reading your top ten, I got a few of those albums because I was completely unaware of the artists behind them. I must say the Bohren and der Club of Gore : Black Earth album is just amazing. I've listened to it three times this week already while at work, and it has honestly helped me to relax so much more than I usually am able to.

Thanks alot for the top ten list ! If you ever have time and don't mind, I would (as well as others on this board I'm sure) love to hear some ideas as to what else you might listen to. I don't really think something would be considered great simply because you listen to it, buuuut it never hurts to hear reccomendations from fellow music lovers; especially from those that might get exposed to harder to find artists more often.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: June 27th, 2006, 11:19 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
shipwreckage wrote:
After reading your top ten, I got a few of those albums because I was completely unaware of the artists behind them.

Ah, good, and I'm pleased the list was of some use.

The things I listen too are far removed from the kind of music I make myself (a lot of dub, and things centered around rhythm and groove) and people who contribute here seem to prefer other kinds of music.

There used to be a "what I'm listening to now" thread in the old forums that seemed to be useful.
Ideally people would post their own top ten (with notes on the reason why) in this thread and we can take it from there...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 27th, 2006, 3:35 pm
I can easily understand listening to things that are far removed from what you personally create, I do the same thing.

But I do wonder...do you ever listen to any of the experimental records from the 50s/60s? Those records fascinate me simply because of their seemingly being the first deep explorations of tape splicing, music structure, sound experimentation, and of course electronics as instruments.

Names like John Cage, Gyorgi Legeti, Edgar Varese, and Karlheinz Stockhausen come to mind - just wondering if you ever have gotten into any of that and if it was of interest or even of influence for you.

Thanks,

Ryan

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: June 27th, 2006, 3:46 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
do you ever listen to any of the experimental records from the 50s/60s?

I'm familiar with them and have checked them out, but they're not something I'd put on for pleasure.
I like Ligeti's atonal "clusters" and have used similar techniques, but much of his work, along with the others you name, doesn't do anything for me.
I can appreciate some of it on an intellectual level, but music is (or at least should be) about a primal/emotional response imo.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 28th, 2006, 6:42 am
Okay last time to beat down on this subject, but I'm also curious - do you give a listen to music such as Enigma, Delerium, Deep Forest, T.A.A.W., and others in similar taste?

They're all very electronic, but in a completely opposite way as your music sounds B, and even so they're completely full of emotion conveyed through sound.

I've personally been a huge fan of Enigma since its inception (minus the more recent pop song singles that have come out). And with Delerium - they had some pretty worthwhile ambient recordings in their early days, but slipped when they tried to take on pop music, in my opinion at least.

Thanks again for responding to my queries!

Ryan

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: June 28th, 2006, 7:02 am
shipwreckage wrote:
Okay last time to beat down on this subject, but I'm also curious - do you give a listen to music such as Enigma, Delerium, Deep Forest, T.A.A.W., and others in similar taste?

Hell no !

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 29th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Any guilty pleasures. ACDC? RunDMC? Menudo? Do you dare tell us?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 29th, 2006, 4:38 pm
forensicentomology wrote:
Any guilty pleasures. ACDC? RunDMC? Menudo? Do you dare tell us?

Are you asking me ?

I don't feel guilty or embarrassed about anything I do or any music I listen too.
Saw Run DMC live very early on in their career and they were really good. A real wall of sound and for more interesting and experimental than all those so-called "industrial" bands that were around at the time. Their latter work wasn't as interesting (when they broke big) but I could still respect it though.

But let's keep the thread on track and post favorites or recommendations.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 29th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Is it against the rules to recommend someone that some might consider very similar to B's work as Lustmord?

I have to say there are a few good records that came out of the work of Mark Spybey as Dead Voices on Air. His work does not transport a listener to unknown worlds like B's work does, but he has some great sounds none the less. He came out of Zoviet France, which was a pretty good band too back in its day.

Hafted Maul, How Hollow Heart, & Piss Frond are good records to listen to from DVOA. He also did a really great remix for the Skinny Puppy track called Love in Vein.

Anyways, since we're talking about recommendations I thought I'd throw that one in...I hope that doesn't upset anyone; I've honestly never seen any kind of critical or fan reaction to DVOA, I've never met anyone thats listened to him to tell you the truth.

Ryan

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: June 29th, 2006, 10:30 pm
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
Alright well Im going to make my attempt at a top ten although thats something that is VERY hard for me to narrow it down to here I go:

(also in no particular order)

The Velvet Underground and Nico:

A lot of people say they're overrated, or list them as influential because everyone else cites them as influential but I really dont see where a lot of modern music would be without them. Hell they had violin drones in "rock" songs! I appriciated every song on this album with the exception of "run run run" but even that I prefer over the crap I hear on the radio. I enjoy the second album as well but this one has more songs I like, I think its pretty obvious that john cale contributed to most of the experimental aspects of the band. I think my two favorite songs are "venus and furs" and "heroin" mainly because of the noisey violin....

Coil-Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1

Coil has a lot of stuff I really enjoy but this is one of their few albums that I enjoy every song on, its mellow but not boring and every song grabs me. The bassy sine waves on "broccoli" are wonderful on a decent sounding stereo. Also my feelings for this might be somewhat influenced by a very strange day I had that opened with listening to this cd....

Pink Floyd-Piper At The Gates of Dawn

All the retarded druggies and hippies where I live wear there pink floyd shirts and rave about "dark side of the moon" and "the wall", which kept me from ever bothering to listen to Pink Floyd at all. But a friend finally convinced me to give this album a listen and it really impressed me. It's got a very happy and upbeat feeling through most of it but there's some pretty dark undertones in certain parts (I had itunes on random and I thought the tapeloops at the end of bike were some industrial song intro once P) Too bad the magic of this album didn't follow them for the next 20 or whatever albums....

Throbbing Gristle-The Second Annual Report

I'm gonna have to agree with B. on my fave TG album, I bought this,DOA and 20 Jazz Funk Greats all at the same time and I enjoy them all but this is the one I find getting played the most. Something about the live feeling of early TG I guess? I really enjoy the after cease to exist track too, I can only imagine how amazing this would have been when it first came out....

Nurse with Wound-Salt Marie Celeste

Perfect for background music/relaxing to whatever, i find myself putting it on a lot when I need music but dont want to hear words. The live version I saw of it about 2 weeks ago was nothing short of phenominal as well (I hope that show gets released heh)

Monte Cazazza-The Worst of Monte Cazazza

I had an interest in tracking down some of his stuff because it seems so obscure and hard to get ahold of and I think this collection is where to go as its a lot easier than tracking down each record. I really like the fact that a lot of the stuff (especially the early stuff) has such a a DIY feel to it, I think its safe to say that it helped me push forward and strive more with making my own music. He's also a swell guy inspite of all the crazy things you read online :twisted:

John Cale-Paris 1919

I haven't really had a chance to listen to a lot of John Cale's solo stuff but something about this one grabs me, maybe its because the songs are catchy? but I found myself listening to it quite a few times on my last bus ride to san francisco (2 days of fun!)

Chris Connelly-Phenobarb Bambalam

I think I have pretty much every one of his solo releases and this one is my favorite. It's dark and brooding and every song is well written and flows together, its pretty mellow for the most part, but certain songs still come across as very menacing.

Current 93-Thunder Perfect Mind

It seems to me like this was when they were at the height of their "folk" sound, its pretty much typical current 93 as far as most people think of them but I listen to it a lot more than the several other cds I have by them. Also I think Im a sucker for long songs because "Hitler as Kalki" is my fave song on the disc.

Can-Tago Mago

I still have yet to check out many of the krautrock bands (besides can,faust and kraftwerk) but I think Can will always be my fave. I really enjoy the way the music is structured and the vocals are just another instrument as far as Im concerned. Its also almost like one big song as each song flows into the next

ok so Im sure theres stuff I've forgotten and Im sure my favorites will change at some point in my life, but there you go.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 7:49 am
great to see another Current 93 fan!

Last edited by driftin on May 28th, 2008, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 8:04 am
stasis wrote:
Monte Cazazza-The Worst of Monte Cazazza

Interesting to see this listed.
Glad you liked it, I had a lot of fun putting it together.

- note that your Top 10 was supposed to go in the "Top 10" thread. I almost missed it because it was in this thread.

Offline Profile WWW