<  Music  ~  dubstep

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 12:33 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
I know B that you like dub - I seem to recall you discussing your enjoyment of the style in the past. Are you interested in dubstep at all? I'm somewhat new to it. Anyone else into this stuff?

I just got the Clubroot debut album, extremely amazing stuff. The only other project that I've found that I really, really like is of course Burial.

anything else on there on the same level as those two?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 3:01 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Though it's been around for a while there hasn't been any dubstep that's really caught my attention, though obviously I haven't heard all of it.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 5:14 pm
have you given burial a listen?

i think they've become the flagship act for this field in recent years - and that can kinda be seen in just the sales and expectation and excitement based around a split between burial and four tet released earlier this year.

i would say his first release, a self-titled album put out by Hyperdub, is extremely enjoyable and possibly the best. If you've not given him a listen - this is what i would suggest to start on for sure!

The four tet split 12" is quite a listen as well; I'm not a big four tet fan, but the two tracks on the split are just great stuff.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 11:09 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I bought the Burial CD when it first came out but it didn't do anything for me so I didn't keep it.
I haven't checked out any other Burial releases.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 10th, 2009, 4:44 am
Well I don't think you'd be moved by any others then, his vibe is typically the same. I will say, however, that the split with four tet is really a different experience on both tracks. To me it doesn't really fit into the catalog of either musician, which is refreshing.

Clubroot was just released, he is apparently a well known producer of dubstep and other forms of electronica and this is his first solo release. I would say give it a chance, it has some good sounds in it. You hear can three different tracks on boom kat, http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=202091, to see if its anything you'd like. I think it has a more appealing sound than burial, but I can also see how some would think they're pretty close to the same thing.

Is there anything, B, that you've ever found in forms of dub that are not really reggae influenced/sounding...aside from your own work? When I run across anything labeled dub these days its typically just some variation of reggae, which bores me to death. I love the idea of dub and the general sound, but wouldn't mind finding something more focused on exploring its possibilities like you have....

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: July 10th, 2009, 11:50 am
shipwreckage wrote:
Is there anything, B, that you've ever found in forms of dub that are not really reggae influenced/sounding...

By definition anything in the dub realm has the basic reggae building blocks as it's foundation.

There are many fine examples of an updating of that sound over the last few years, Of particular note and much imitated are anything Moritz Von Oswald has been involved in and the many Kruder & Dormeister remixes (some of which are collected on the "Sessions" CD).
our milage may vary depending on taste, but I find them much more satisfying than any dubstep I've heard.

I'm starting work on a new dub project of my own which may or may not be what you're looking for.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 3:23 pm
I checked out the k & d sessions two disc set, it was okay - but to me its just too close to ibiza/buddha bar/chill-out type stuff, which just is not for me.

As for moritz von oswald - i tried to check out a few things, he seems to have worked on TONS of stuff, so its tough to try to figure out what is better than the average piece. I did get one of the recomposed albums he did with carl craig. I wasn't impressed at all, but it didn't feel like dub of any sort so I'm assuming I tapped into some basically unreleated side-project. carl craig has always had that detroit dance kinda sound, which i never really got into.

I do appreciate your form of dub, B, more than any of these that I've come across just recently so I'm definitely interested and will be looking forward to it!

and I can really appreciate the original reggae influence on dub, i love some of the old stuff from the 70s that really pushed dub into rock and used the hell outta that roland space unit! i just feel like a lot of what i hear today in dub/dubstep and into acid, drum n bass and other forms of electronica...its just boring and repetitive material. i will say cevin key, a few years back, released a couple of albums that mixed experimental noise and synth and random shit with dub for some rather pleasing results.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 4:09 pm
Those aren't representational of Von Oswald. Try the Rhythm & Sound and Burial Mix releases. If you don't like those you're beyond any suggestions I can make..

Kevin is a big Von Oswald fan btw.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 15th, 2009, 5:31 am
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
+1 on Rythm & Sound. Amazing stuff.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 1:06 pm
Vex'd is damn good as well as Distance. Might also want to check out The Bug

Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 24th, 2009, 5:01 pm
Posts: 5Location: cardiff walesJoined: August 17th, 2008, 9:56 am
what about the godfather of the genre mick harris (scorn,lull) he was doing dubstep ten years before it went mainstream. You have to thank radio one dj mary ann hobbs for giving mick the credit he deserves with that one.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 12th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Posts: 6Location: germanyJoined: March 12th, 2010, 3:41 pm
hej there!

stumbled across this forum and just registered because i saw this thread (well, not really just because of that)...
i recommend "new world observer" by deadbeat, "vice versa" by mauxuam and "aerial" by 2562 though i am not very keen on dubstep too...and the page dubstep.fm < there are always really good mixes to get an impression- also what i read is that you have to listen to this kind of music VERY LOUD- its part of the concept to feel the bass...once was at a party where this music was played and it was out of this world- not to be compared to listening to such stuff @ home...

another album i MOST HIGHLY recommend is "foley room" by amon tobin (though no dubstep ;-P)- in my eyes (or ears) the purest gold...saw him in brussels playing over a dolby-surround set- it was indescribable, jaw-dropping, euphoric, insane- he`ll have a new output soon, i guess...good man!

peace! :shock:

Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 9:56 am
welcome to the forum mich!

and thank you for your suggestions, i'll check those albums out for sure.

yes - foley room is an album I have and enjoy from time to time, i'd be interested in seeing him live too.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 12:14 pm
hey!

thank you (:

i saw him twice already- the second-time at a festival...you can download a complete live-show on his homepage btw :)

i think foley room is a modern master-piece and there is no chance my opinion will ever change- listening to it since 3 years now and it doesn`t get boring at all...
hmmm...if someone here is interested in good ambient stuff not only in the "dark" area i also recommend solar fields and boards of canada! there is so much that could be recommended but i don`t want to annoy-should be enough for the beginning ;)

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2012, 12:46 pm
man...i am as annoyed by the genre "dubstep" right now (since about 1 year) as i am amazed by tobins (still spreading the word) new project...
dubstep has become mainstream-...that had to happen...but i still like stuff like burial...
and i was REALLY amazed when i saw these guys live (no dubstep):
http://soundcloud.com/esmogplayground/b ... 24-02-2012