<  Music  ~  ambient recommendations

PostPosted: February 26th, 2006, 9:40 am
Posts: 5Location: germanyJoined: February 26th, 2006, 9:35 am
hi everybody at deepnet. i´m searching for good ambientmusic. does anyone have some recommendations for some deep stuff? what ambient are you listening to besides lustmord? thanx!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 27th, 2006, 11:16 am
one word of advice... whenever a label or artist compares something they've released to Lustmord, proceed with caution, because 99% of the time they fall way short.

I know for me it's been a real challenge to track down stuff that suits my particular tastes... a few specific recommendations I'd have would be Troum / Yen Pox - Mnemonic Induction (and if anyone else could recommend more of either artist...), Sleep Research Facility - Dead Weather Machine _ Re:Heat, I. Corax - Spectral Metabolism (a bit different than the solid, expansive droniness of the others, but still a good listen), Inade - Aldebaran (one I most often see compared to Lustmord, but only superficially in my opinion)... I know I have a few more, maybe go through my discs and add some later. I've picked up a few titles on the Cold Meat label also, but none quite do it for me, their artists tend to want to haphazardly throw gothic chanting and more "musical" bits into their work, which to me tends to detract from the overall feel.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 1st, 2006, 4:22 am
thank you. i already have some stuff that you mentioned. if you like yen pox, perhaps you should check out "hollow earth - dog days of the holocaust" it´s scary! it´s really hard to find some more stuff for me too, so it would be nice if you have some more tips

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 1st, 2006, 4:09 pm
actually, I just picked up that one a couple of months ago for $6 here...

http://www.industrial-music.com/product ... fedd142c97

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 5th, 2006, 8:43 am
Some artists I highly recommend

Aeolian String Ensemble
Aghast
Angel of Decay
Cyclobe
Final
Mick Harris/Lull
Thomas Koner
Mirror
New Risen Throne
Organum
James Plotkin
Tactile
Mika Vainio

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 6th, 2006, 9:22 am
thanks, some new names for me. do you have some info or a link for "final" and "mirror" ? i couldn´t find them via google ...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 6th, 2006, 3:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 9Location: Western AustraliaJoined: November 19th, 2005, 6:03 pm
If you want a good selection of darker and dronier (is that a word) ambient, I ran across this yester on another message forum:

http://lamaingaucheprod.free.fr/release05-01.htm

A bit tricky to download (you got to go through the three 'playlists') but the resulting sound is pretty good indeed.

And more so, its free.

"That is not dead which eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: March 7th, 2006, 9:14 am
brainwashed.com/heeman will link you to some info regarding Mirror and a number of other projects in which Christoph Heeman has participated. Type 'Mirror' into the brainwashed search engine to find relevant reviews and such.

www.avalancheinc.co.uk/ will link you to info about Justin Broadrick, Final, Jesu... Final 3 was released a couple weeks ago. I'm doing my best not to overplay it but I'm in love with the textures.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 8th, 2006, 3:05 pm
Posts: 5Location: californiaJoined: November 25th, 2005, 6:00 pm
well, for me :

somnific flux (mick harris/bill laswell)
rapoon
lull
the halfer trio
anything on the cyclic law label. everything ive heard from this label, i try & buy!

& the mighty "alice in wonderland" 5 disc set by randy greif.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2006, 7:24 pm
Anyone into dark ambient should check out Tor Lundvall. He is a Long Island-based artist who used to be on World Serpent, but now he releases his albums via Strange Fortune. A good place to start would be his latest album, "Empty City". It's creepy ambient music with a keen sense of melody.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2006, 8:54 am
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
I listen to a lot of drone/ambient these days and heres a small list of people I reccomend:

Andrew Liles
Troum
Colin Potter
Mirror
Monos
Coil-Musick to Play in the Dark 1 and 2
Nurse With Wound-Soliloquy for Lilith and Salt Marie Celeste

and Im sure Im forgetting something!

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: July 9th, 2006, 6:50 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
Could anyone suggest any Nurse with Wound?

I have the James Last record, as well as all the Shipwreck Radio Broadcast cds (the reason I was drawn to NWW in the first place)...but I'm wanting to get into his older catalog and see whats all there but I don't know what I should stick with, what I should stay away from, and what to begin with!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Ryan

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: July 9th, 2006, 8:14 am
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
Could anyone suggest any Nurse with Wound?

I have the James Last record, as well as all the Shipwreck Radio Broadcast cds (the reason I was drawn to NWW in the first place)...but I'm wanting to get into his older catalog and see whats all there but I don't know what I should stick with, what I should stay away from, and what to begin with!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Ryan

saw nurse last month actually amazing shows! :D

Heres the problem (and it hurts me as well as I've only been a fan about a year) most the old stuff is out of print so you have to either download it or pay a ton of money for it. I'm not a Nurse "expert" but some of my faves are:

Chance meeting on a dissecting table of a sewing machine and an umbrella
spiral insana
salt marie celeste (still in print)

like you said the shipwreck radio cds are great, theres actually a new one they sold at the shows called "final broadcasts'" thats one disc two two half hour or so songs.

There a 5 way collaboration steve stapleton did recently called the sleeping moustache, which I also highly reccomend.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: July 10th, 2006, 4:19 am
As for what's currently available, I'd recommend the Soliloquy for Lilith boxset, Rock n Roll Station (recently reissued by Beta Lactam), Soundpooling, all three volumes of Angry Eelectric Finger...

Nurse With Wound is supposed to reissue a bunch of albums in the near future, however a few older titles are still available at half-decent prices on EBay. (There's a Swedish seller, forget the ID, though.) Amongst these albums I'd recommend, without hesitation, Merzbild Schwet and A Missing Sense.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 10th, 2006, 6:17 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
Thank you guys very much for the help with NWW. Hopefully I can find some of these records available online. I wish the NWW site at brainwashed would sell his work...it seems like it would be much easier than going all over the place just to find one or two here and there - although maybe thats the way he likes it.

Anyone ever gone all out and researched any or all of the names on the infamous NWW list? I read it the other day and found that I actually own a good number of the records on there, which was surprising - at least most of the krautrock albums. There were some, however, that I had never seen before....just wondering if anyone else has gotten into the NWW list enough to find some really worthwhile stuff in it.

Ryan

Offline Profile WWW YIM