<  Music  ~  Dark Ambient: not a genre?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2006, 1:59 am
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
I recently had an argument with someone about dark ambient/industrial music. First he told me dark ambient wasn't a real genre of music, which shocked me since i've been using it for years to describe the music i like a la lustmord - heresy (sorry B, i know you don't like the label Dark Ambient, but it works). does anyone here agree with him that it is not a genre of music? What should i be calling this kind of music?

The other bizarre thing was how he said industrial isn't a genre of music either. what? then finally he said there is no difference between industrial and dark ambient. What do you all think of this? have i been terribly confused about this kind of music for a long time?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 30th, 2006, 4:33 am
User avatarPosts: 15Location: Kiel/GermanyJoined: November 22nd, 2005, 4:27 am
Hmmm, here is my definition of it:

If noises become accidental melody, it's industrial.
If noises become intended melody, ist ambient.
There are those who work with experimental noises just to build structures of it.
And there are those who wan't to let you think that it is experimental,
but it is planned.

But this is only my sight of it.

S.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: January 31st, 2006, 5:39 pm
it's always possible this person you argued with just doesn't like anything other than top 40 radio or whatever the hell they call it...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 31st, 2006, 10:08 pm
kvnvk wrote:
it's always possible this person you argued with just doesn't like anything other than top 40 radio or whatever the hell they call it...

Actually, he was quite knowledgable in quite a few different styles of music. A couple of them he was extremely well versed, as much as anybody i've met. Music very very far from top 40.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 10th, 2006, 3:27 pm
ah well... maybe it has more to do with difficulty moving beyond the boundaries of structure, rhythm, melody, etc...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 12th, 2006, 1:51 pm
kvnvk wrote:
ah well... maybe it has more to do with difficulty moving beyond the boundaries of structure, rhythm, melody, etc...

Most certainlty not. Ever heard of Kayo Dot? one of his favorite bands. I Think he's just completely unable to back down from an argument once he opens his mouth.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 17th, 2006, 4:48 am
that's more readily acceptable from my point of view as opposed to the usual, already listed reasons people make the claim, but a harder position to defend as your basic argument boils down to "because I said so". :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: June 26th, 2006, 6:30 am
Sorry to ressurect this old thread, but I'm new to the board, and thought I'd throw in my two cents....

Personally, I feel that arguments over genre names are pointless, as everyone has their own interpretation of what does and does not fit in a particular style of music. That said, if you consider the music "dark ambient", and that's the mood it conveys for you, does it really matter what your friend thinks you should call it? Also, if thousands of fans around the world are calling the style "dark ambient", then YES, by popular usage it is, in fact, a genre.

After all, it's not about what it's labelled as, it's about how the music makes you feel.

Offline Profile