<  Music  ~  Top Ten

PostPosted: February 4th, 2007, 9:30 am
Posts: 3Location: EnglandJoined: February 4th, 2007, 6:30 am
(updated! - only 8 albums now) :o

>Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
I don't care if im being boring here, this album is just immense. Its so unique that its hard to put into words - a mixture of primary colours would probaby best describe it . Having said that, I hate all of RDJ's later output...

>Muse - Origin of Symmetry
By far the best rock talent the UK has to offer imo. The style of this album is so defined - songs like Bliss and Citizen Erased make this a masterpiece.

>Nick Warren - GU 30: Paris
Clever, understated, diverse and in places beautiful.

>Lustmord - Carbon/Core
My favorite Lustmord album, this takes me places nothing else can. It would be pretty pointless describing it on the actual Lustmord forum, but anyway Born of Cold Light is probably my favourite track. Or Beneath, which is just horrific.

>The Prodigy - Fat of The Land
Yeah its very commerical, but I really couldn't care how commercial something is. It took about 5-8 listens for this album to "click" for me. Its obnoxious, which at first my ears found almost offensive, but I've grown to love it for that very reason. It really gets my heart racing.

>Pendulum - Hold Your Colour
I know many people credit Pendulum with ruining d'n'b, and that purists will sneer at their big-beat accesibility. But listen carefully and you hear on every track a swarm of brilliant melodies. Plus its just a fun album that bursts with energy and originality. The trick is not to let the predominant beats mask the intrinsic layering of melodic genius beneath!
(On a side note, this is the "irrational" album of my list, i.e. a lot of its appeal for me comes from the memories associated with listening to it. We all have an album that defines a good time in our lives!)

>Ulrich Schnauss - In A Strangely Isolated Place
For when im feeling happy. Or a way of perking me up when im not happy.
Whatever, I can't wait for more from this guy.

>FSOL - (ID?)
Cheating a bit here - its not an officially released album, just a 35 minute something they played on BBC Radio 1. I keep finding new layers of musical depth with every listen, its beyond description (other than its a bit like ISDN). Trippy!

I don't really like listing my top 10 albums, because I feel it doesn't reflect my taste in music very accurately. They're just my favorite albums, not nessesarily my favorite music. A lot of my favorite songs aren't on these albums.

Last edited by grime on March 27th, 2007, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 1:50 pm
Saturnist wrote:
Most of you folks listen to such eclectic stuff it's hard to compete, some exceptional descriptions of albums though. Here's my attempt:

Agalloch-The Mantle: This album was a consummation of metal(folk metal) for me, I really have put aside all over heavier music since I began listening to this album and band in general. Agalloch's ability to mix in a philosophy with trance-like metal lacks a pretension which most of the metal I know is full of.

Autechre-Tri Repetae: This album for me defines IDM as it's finest. The ambient additions are amazing, and the actual album is perfect. The song Bbronchusevenmx24 contains one of the most interesting sounds I have ever heard.

Bad Religion-All Ages: It's a compilation I know, punk is dead. Okay, okay next album. If I had to choose one album by these guys I would have to go with Recipe for Hate.

Boards of Canada-Music Has the Right to Children: This album seems to be infinite in it's ability to bring emotions to the forefront of the mind. What it lacks in coherence it has in depth, there is no shortage of reminiscing material here. The best music to listen to when high or hungover imo.

Can-Tago Mago: The best effort this band put out over there short career with Damo Suzuki. The whole album is one big dreamscape for me, it really envelops my mind and allows me to wander through myself. I have yet to fully listen to Future Days, which I own, but I plan on spending some time one day with it.

Gza/Genius-Liquid Swords: I decide to choose only one rap album, and this album is undoubtedly something which still amazes me by any music standard. The whole package was something that no other rapper in my opinion ever toppled. Honorable rap mentions: Gang Starr-Moment of Truth, Ghostace Killah-Ironman, Mobb Deep-The Infamous, Lost Boyz-Legal Drug Money, De La Soul- Stakes is High.

GodSpeed You! Black Emporer-Yanqui U.X.O.-I know post rock is something which everyone feels will die out and such, but this album is for me a timeless album. It exposes the feelings which I have been hiding for a long time, a soundtrack for life for my most fervent moments.

Mogwai-Young Team: I am going to pick Young Team here but there is no Mogwai album that captures for me there whole sound. They seem to morph steadily in different directions on each effort, sometimes focusing on a certain mutation and sometimes ready to expand. I read somewhere that a certain critic thought these guys to be the best band around, and although I don't believe that I definitely find it hard to disagree.

Porcupine Tree-Stupid Dream: At the moment this is my favorite album so I decided to list it. This band really seems to be keeping a certain style of Prog alive, an innocent style, something which stays with true rock music roots.

Tool-Undertow: It is impossible for me to choose any true favorite album by Tool, but Undertow for me is a special album. It is the album which came straight from the mind of the band, they were not heavily influenced yet by all the occult(hidden I know) and arcane things which they have delved into recently. The raw energy of the album is something I can relate to at my age, and seeing clips of this album live are probably the coolest things I have ever seen.

This needs to be revamped.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 30th, 2007, 9:29 am
At this exact moment in time(seeing as how it would probably change tomorrow), mine would be......

Faith No More: Angel Dust
Took awhile to sink in. Have yet to tire of it after some 6 years. I know a few people who think it needs remastering for one reason or another, I'm not one of them.

The Pixies: Trompe Le Monde
I seem to warm to the albums that are not universally accepted most of the time.
I just prefer the way this albums runs compared to the others.

Suicidal Tendencies: Art of Rebellion
The production on this album is extremely loud for a CD released in the early 90's. The drums are the most up front thing in the mix. Kind of works in my opinion. The first track "Can't stop" is one of my favorite "Side one, track one's" as John Cusack would say.

Biosphere: Substrata
Not long discovered this album. But it seems to have been made for the purposes of me getting to sleep at night, which, by track 4, I usually am. For that, it makes the list.

The Jesus Lizard: Goat
Loud, noisy and weird with what seems like an angry drunk man singing.....oh wait, it is.

Mclusky: Mcluskyism
Since I couldn't pick one album I think it would be best to pick the 3 disc A sides ,B sides, unreleased and live album. Because it is excellent.

Tool: Lateralus
Reminds me of having glandular fever(that's Mono to you American folks) But still, I love it.

Million Dead: Harmony No Harmony
English band that only put out two albums. More ups and downs than their 1st record

Jane's Addiction: Ritual De lo Habitual
Purely for "Three Days"

Therapy?: Troublegum
Pretty standard choice of theirs. Never used to be my favorite, but over time turned out to be.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 6th, 2007, 9:12 pm
Posts: 3Location: TorontoJoined: January 10th, 2007, 9:27 am
My Top 10 Albums:

1. Buried Dreams - by Clock DVA - 1989

A dark, surreal and brooding electronic album. I was overjoyed when I managed to nab a vinyl from ebay. Classic and highly recommended, Apparently Jeffrey Dalhmer was listening to this when the police arrested him.

2. Caustic Grip - by Front Line Assembly - 1990

For its time, this must have been quite a shock, I would have been about 5 when this came out, but didn't hear it until atleast a decade after and it completely blew my mind the intensity and attention to detail when it came to sequencing, layering and sampling. If you can only pick 1 album from FLA's disography, this has to be it. No doubt influenced by the below album:

3. Psychological Warfare Technology - by Terror Against Terror - 1988

What is there to say? For 1988, this was a step above "Initial Command" and "In Slaughter Natives" a very relevant album. Perhaps an unintended critique of America's vast military industrial complex. I can only imagine what the unreleased 2nd album sounds like.

4. Filthy White Guy - by Portion Control

After a couple decades, these guys come back out and put rehashed EBM copy cat acts back in their place.

5. Paradise Disowned - by Lustmord

I have vivid memories of listening to this album while on Ketamine and sinking into a subterranean world of mechanized robots and their corresponding assembly lines. a spiritual experience.

6. Funhouse - by The Stooges

The last album by the Stooges where Dave Alexander was still playing bass. This was the high point (or low point, if you include the dependance on drugs) for the stooges. If I were to ever shoot heroine, which I don't plan to, this would be the album to do it to.

7. Auto-Da-Fe - by S.P.K.

I think this was a combination of early S.P.K. + mid-era S.P.K. I don't know how to describe this, rythmic at times, sometimes ambient, sometimes noisey, a unique "Industrial" album. "Mekano" is the anthem on this one.

8. No Comment - by Front 242

A classic EBM album from 1984 that has, atleast for me, aged pretty well. Great to drive to.

9. Penetration - by Controlled Bleeding

An aggressive mix of drum machines, sampling, guitars, and noise by these NYC natives, from 1992. Stays fairly coherent throughout, until finally disintegrating into a live recorded noise track at the end ("Scrap Metal")

10. Ampos - by Bad Sector

I haven't heard an album by Bad Sector that I didn't like. A mix of analog and digital to create intricate dark ambient soundscapes, with the occassional hints of noise and rythym

these aren't rankings, i enjoy them all equally

PostPosted: July 16th, 2007, 9:58 pm
My top 10 would probably have to be -

Merzbow - Springharp - When I was first getting into noise this album really opened my eyes and showed me the underlying complexity of electronic music. The music consists mainly of drum and rock guitar samples that are distorted,manipulated, and otherwise augmented and then layered over each other. The sounds coming from that disc were truely inspiring for me at the time.

Rodd Keith - I died today - This album is a compilation of songs recorded by Rodd Keith, who was an artist who worked in the song poem industry, which asked amateurs to send in their lyrics. The advertisements would usually say something to the effect of "send us your lyrics, we'll put them to music and get you exposure". The songs were generally made by inexperienced musicians who would go at them in single takes. Rodd Keith was different in that he was an accomplished musician. This album is at once goofy, catchy, cheesy, and just fun, but it doesn't seem to wear thin after repeated listenings, even though the entire album is ridiculous, sloppy pop music with hilarious lyrics.

Throbbing Gristle - Heathen Earth - Magnificient "live in studio" recording by TG. Basically has all of the elements that make TG great.

Foetus - Hole - I have listened to Hole many times and I never get bored with it. The music has an industrial base with influences from jazz, surf-rock, swing, and blues, among others. The album flows nicely and each song is memorable.. The instrumentation is executed to perfection and JG Thirwell's gravelly voice gives the image of a man who has embraced violence and insanity with open arms.

General Patton vs. The Executionerz - This is the first "hip hop" album I ever owned. The turntable playing by the Executionerz is hyperfast and very technical while Patton's vocals are, as always, diverse. The music changes genres constantly giving it a frantic, manic feel that I feel is absent from most hip hop.

Melvins - Hostile Ambient Takeover - It's near impossible for me to pick my favorite Melvins album but this one ultimately makes the list because of the inclusion of one of my favorite songs. The album has a variety of sounds that show the Melvins various influences. The album is solid but really shines in the sixteen minute "Anti-Vermin Seed" which is a somewhat droney/ambient track with bass guitar and drums giving it a frame to work around. Guitar and electronics enter the mix and eventually the song ends with eerily whispered vocals by Buzz Osborne. Perfect track to end an already solid album.

Swans - Filth/Body to Body,Job to Job - A 2 CD set compiling some early Swans albums. Basically all of the music is based around slow SLAMMING drums, a thick bass sound, and blaring dissonant guitar while Michael Gira bellows over the whole mix. The album is possibly one of the most evil, intense sounding pieces of work I've heard.

Hank Williams III - Straight to Hell - The first disc is basically good old fashioned country with skilled players on every track. Most of the songs are upbeat with some country ballad type stuff thrown in every once in a while. The second disc is a sound collage that occasionally takes a break for some country tracks, most of which are just Hank singing and playing acoustic. I know, it's country, and a lot of people hate country, but I think this is too damn good to pass up regardless of your opinion on it.

Lustmord - Metavoid - Hard to pick just one of these albums so I'm going to go with the first Lustmord purchase I made, which I got after I bought Pigs of the Roman Empire. This album is on my list not only because it's a well done album but it was the first album I had heard that I thought was frightening.

Earth - Hex: Printing in the Infernal Method - Basically this is Bohren and Der Club of Gore if they dropped the jazz influence and replaced it with a love of Ennio Morricone. The music has a vast cinematic feel that gives one the feeling of aimlessly wandering in the desert.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 12th, 2007, 2:44 am
Posts: 2Location: SpainJoined: September 12th, 2007, 2:31 am
1. Eraserhead - David Lynch & Alan R Splet
2. Session 9 - Climax Golden Twins
3. Delight at the end of the tunnel - David Slusser
4. Shock Corridors - David Shea
5. Kristallnaght - John Zorn
6. The Air is on fire - David Lynch
7. Necrosphere - Necropolis
8. Heresy - Lustmord
9. Live in Greenwich Village - Albert Ayler
10. Videodrome/ Crash - Howard Shore

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 6:09 pm
I only have a fixed top 3 for electronic music:

1. Klaus Schulze - Mirage (the original version with 2 tracks, by all means NOT the weak and different 2005 rerelease)
2. Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
3. Michael Stearns - Planetary Unfolding

Any (dark) ambient/electronic fan should have heard these (many times..). :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 17th, 2008, 9:28 am
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
After visiting the board a few times and only glancing at this thread, I've decided to give it a shot. For me this is an ever changing list, very much depending on mood. But I'll try to stick in the ones which are very heavy duty favorites of mine.

In no particular order:

The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
An amazing pop record which always has a new level for me to discover each time I revisit it.

Deathprod - Morals and Dogma
Producer Helge Steen's drone project. Very lo-fi but oh so effective!

Stars of the Lid - Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid
Lovely drone album, even though it is a bit on the soft side. Still love it to death.

Oren Ambarchi - In the Pendulum's Embrace
It was hard to pick out what album to choose from Ambarchi's archives, but his newest album is downright amazing so it will be it. When B mentioned Bohren & Der Club of Gore I had never heard of them before. I took a listen and it sure was an amazing album. Very very slow jazz drone is how I've described this Ambarchi album before and the description still fits.

Fennesz - Endless Summer
I had to pick one "screen gaze" record and it was hard to choose one. Decided upon Endless Summer since it was with that album I got in touch with Fennesz guitar playing.

Low - Trust
This could be the heaviest album I own. Beautifully recorded too.

Microstoria - SND
Every since I discovered this gem around year 2000, I've loved it. Actually, I think I discovered Lustmord at about the same time and listened to this album and The Place where the Black Stars Hang continuesly.

Daniel Menche - Beautiful Blood
Amazing and quite unlike the rest of his work.

Kevin Drumm - Sheer Hellish Miasma
I hardly ever listen to noise anymore, but I keep coming back to this Mego album. I have to stick it in here.

I think I'll leave it at eight for today. I might come back and add two more later on.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 28th, 2008, 12:15 pm
*Edited out my original top ten, a new one will be put here as soon as I've finished writing it up*

Last edited by driftin on December 31st, 2008, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 5:59 am
Okay, I'm going to give this a shot. Keep in mind that I am still very much discovering new music and this list could quite possibly change radically in a very short amount of time. The list is in no particular order.

Tool - Lateralus
Lateralus is by far my favourite album of all time. I got it when I was about 12 and it was the first album that I bought completely on my own. Something about it grabbed my attention and, needless to say, I was impressed. At first I was very taken aback by it; previously I had mostly listened to music that was played on 'Popular' radio stations and its difference intrigued me. Years later and I still can not go a fortnight without listening to it in its entirety.

Jeff Wayne's The War Of The Worlds
My father often played this to me as a child and it used to scare the crap out of me every time. I still listen to it every now and then and am still amazed by how good the song writing is.

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
Though many people consider this to be NIN's weakest release it was the first of their records that I had ever heard and it caused me to go out and buy his other stuff. Plus, I think it's a damn fine little CD.

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
I was raised on The Beatles and this album holds a special place in my CD collection. It introduced me to alternative styles of music and 'Strawberry Fields Forever" is still my favourite song.

X-in - §imbYosi§
What can I say, it introduced me to Dark Ambient (or whatever you want to call it, I don't particularly like genres). It's a REALLY good free album and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested.

And I think that will do it for me, at least for now..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 4th, 2008, 7:28 pm
Robert Rich & B. Lustmord
Not my first ambient album, but definitely my favorite. As a fan of both Lustmord's and Rich's work, I have to say that it's a high point in both their careers.

Rammstein - Reise, Reise
In addition to their musical style, I'm in love with love Rammstein's songwriting. This album shows them at the peak of their form. Rosenrot is a great follow-up.

Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
Just genius. Definitely the pinnacle of IDM/drill n bass.

Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto - Insen
Combines two completely different musical styles in a spectacular manner. Alva Noto's solo albums are worth checking out as well, if you like glitch.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Obligatory.

Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Film noir lullabies. Incredible.

The Books - Thought for Food
A unique and quirky fusion of folk, rock, sound collage, and electronic music. If you have not yet experienced The Books, do so as soon as possible.

Rage Against the Machine - Renegades
I'm not a fan of most of Rage's work, but I do respect this album for banishing by silly white boy stereotype-based bias against rap music. As a cover album, Renegades is unparalleled.

Radiohead - In Rainbows
I have by no means explored Radiohead's entire discography (I'm just getting into them), but this so far is my favorite of the ones I've experienced.

Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts - Cowboy Bebop
The first soundtrack album for Cowboy Bebop. Cowboy Bebop is a science fiction anime that follows the lives of a group of misfit bounty hunters. The style and setting is heavily influenced by jazz and blues culture, and early rock and roll. The score covers all of those forms of music, and a bit more as well.

Lately I've been wanting to get into hip hop (old school/underground, as well as the original gangsta rappers, back when gangsta rap was good), as well as classical music. I've only recently begun to realize the sheer volume of separate and mutually exclusive forms that are lumped under the banner "classical," and how foolish the average young person's perceptions of the label are.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 11:31 am
User avatarPosts: 76Location: SwedenJoined: October 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
I was happy to see Joy Division and Kraftwerk in there. But hey, isn't Closer much better for dark, gloomy city-core post-punk than Unknown Pleasures? To me, Unknown Pleasures always sounded more focused on music rather than feeling, and therefore succeeds over Closer in that aspect. However, the music and lyrics on Closer seem much more intimate and desperate, and hence Curtis' life story, it's not just for show...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 19th, 2008, 10:49 am
Posts: 12Location: InnsmouthJoined: November 19th, 2008, 4:21 am
ÆdeagusDei wrote:
Nice call on Constance Demby. I guess some of the sounds on Novus are a bit dated now, but her great sense of composition still shines through.

For my own list: it's quite hard for me to narrow my favorites down to just 10, but here are among the albums from various genres which have been most influential:

Tool - Ænima
Believe it or not, this is actually the first album I ever owned. I had never had much interest in music until I bought this (based mostly on just the cool cover). Dark, groovy, and a lyrical feast for the analytically-minded (such as myself).

Steve Roach - The Magnificent Void
A friend in high school cryptically recommended Mr. Roach to me, offering no clue as to the style of music he created. I arrived at the local store and was overwhelmed by the selection. I choose this album, generally at random, and it was love at first listen. My first ambient recording.

Michael Stearns - The Lost World
Another earlier ambient find. Great tones. Superb use of field recordings. Utterly entrancing and evocative.

Lustmord - Zoetrope
My first Lustmord recording (yeah, yeah...I know). While most dark ambient seemed content to just conjure up a creepy atmosphere, here was music that went after you! It was not just ominous, but dangerous! I was hooked.

Vas - In the Garden of Souls
Sounds pulled from all corners of the world, but blended into a new beast entirely. Melodic percussion, wordless vocals, and plaintive cello. Sometimes erotic, sometimes mournful, sometimes celebratory; always engaging.

Elend - The Umbersun
I can't even remember where or how I found these guys. A cacophanous, yet often beautiful journey portraying the seizure and reclamation of Heaven and the fall and resurrection of Lucifer. A feast for the scholar as well as the listener.

Greg Ellis - Rhythmtonics
A seven-CD box set by the drummer for Vas containing--with the rare exception of a flute or conch shell--nothing but percussion. Amazing rhythmscapes and tones. As a drummer, I've found this incredibly inspirational. It greatly expanded my view of what could be done with just unaltered (no loops, edits, or processing) percussion.

16 Horsepower - Folklore
This is what all folk music should be. Edgy, brooding, full of religious angst (thankfully, not as preachy as their other releases). William Faulkner set to music.

Diamanda Galas - The Divine Punishment & Saint of the Pit
Confrontational, powerful, uncompromising music with a very important point. I'd never heard anything quite like this before. Beautiful but deeply unsettling. And that voice...!

Loreena McKennitt - The Mask and the Mirror
I'll probably get some flak for this one, but I don't care. It's a damn beautiful album. Wonderfully diverse.

Tool's Aenima would stick out for me as number one as well. I had no interested in music until hearing it, either.

Here's one I haven't seen recommended, but you can only get it as an import:

Ulver - Perdition City This sounds even more David Lynchian than Bohren & Der Club of Gore, if you can believe it. One of my favorite albums of all time. The cover labels it as "music for an interior film," and the description is fitting. It is the sounds of a dark, noirish city at nightfall.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 19th, 2008, 11:15 am
User avatarPosts: 76Location: SwedenJoined: October 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
Nick wrote:
Earth - Hex: Printing in the Infernal Method - Basically this is Bohren and Der Club of Gore if they dropped the jazz influence and replaced it with a love of Ennio Morricone. The music has a vast cinematic feel that gives one the feeling of aimlessly wandering in the desert.

Have you checked out The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull? The perfect sequel to Hex, a great development of the style they begun exploring on that album. Also, A Plague Of Angels on Hibernaculum is enough to make the entire album worthwhile. Wonderful band... Also, I presume that you've already heard Earth 2. The album that started the drone doom genre. Mandatory.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 19th, 2008, 5:34 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
[ Thread trimed to keep On Subject ]

Offline Profile WWW