<  DeepCore  ~  underwater audio recording

PostPosted: February 28th, 2009, 3:15 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
Has anyone had experience in this field? I have always been so curious as to how I can go about doing underwater recordings...but only in my head, i've never really taken the time to read up and do my homework on the subject. I am curious though...anyone here done it before?

What type of equipment does it take? A special mic I assume...but what else?

I also assume the cost is rather high - anyone have any ideas on a figure?

Thanks!

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: February 28th, 2009, 6:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 170Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
Now that I think of it, the whole idea of underwater music sounds very interesting; I mean literally listening to music underwater -- scuba gear and all -- in some kind of special acoustic pool with underwater speakers(very powerful ones). I get the feeling you would have hella bass response in such an environment, although the majority of higher frequencies may be muffled to some extent. It's worth an experiment, assuming it has not already been done, which it probably has.

I realize such a concept would not easily/never catch on commercially (how many people would really invest in a water theater?), unless you found a way to perform "sound shows" for audiences and such, hence being in a large pool.

You could do a whole lot artistically in such a medium; people in squid suits swimming about a crowd showered in various filtered and strobing light/projector images, intermittently injecting ominous black ink into the water. Consider an underwater version of a project like Osseous Labyrinth. How haunting it would be to become slowly enveloped in a dense cloud of black, while floating weightless, as deep droning sounds pulsate throughout.

Perhaps such is the pleasure of future generations.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 1st, 2009, 8:36 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
...though it is extremely interesting, it would be terribly expensive i bet.

steven stapleton has done an underwater/above water performance at a pool with speakers above and below water...i believe some were actually coming OUT of the water. the performance is called 'wet sounds,' and i have a feeling you can find videos online. i am on the nww mailing list and someone had posted there about a 6 or 8 minute long video that showed both above and below water during the show, very interesting. the audio wasn't replicated well but you'd get the idea. if i can find it later i will post the link.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 1st, 2009, 12:05 pm
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
I know field recordist Chris Watson (of BBC and Cabaret Voltaire fame) has some under-
water recordings. He usually specifies what kind of equipment he uses, maybe he
would reply to email?

Offline Profile