<  DeepCore  ~  questions about work etc

PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 7:16 am
B-

I have a few questions about how you work, if you don't mind.

How are you able to maintain a balance between your work for clients, your personal work, and your life? How much time do you roughly devote to each during a given week?

Are your clients aware of your personal work, or do you keep that separate?

How much of a cross-over is there between your client work and your personal work?

I ask these things since I'm facing them myself with the endeavors I'm pursuing and I thought you could provide some insight.

Thanks.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 7:43 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Life always comes first, but bills need to be paid so things need to be addressed accordingly.

This is what I do, regardless of it being for a project of my own or a paid project.

Mornings are usually spent on various correspondences and the daily running of all things Lustmord and related, afternoons on music and/or sound design etc, working till 7 or so, unless there's a big project for a client, in which case it's 12-14 hour days.
There are no weekends or holidays as such, every day is a Friday, and every few months I might take a few days off to get out of town etc.
I enjoy what I do and this is my life, my work doesn't rule my life, but then, most of the time I don't really consider it work anyway.

In these days of illegal downloads it's increasingly difficult to make a living with music, so it's not something you do for the money.

I have no idea what kind of endeavors of your own you're referring too, but allocating time to what needs to be done isn't difficult.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 4:49 pm
Thanks for your reply.

I'm just curious, what were you doing before providing sound for commercial projects?

In reference to my previously mentioned endeavors: I've been creating animated 3D title sequences and music videos for different people. I'm interested in using similar techniques to create interactive installation work, but we'll see what happens.

Offline Profile E-mail