<  DeepCore  ~  The Word as Power and esoteric Hinduism. My thoughts.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2013, 9:01 am
When I first heard of LM's The Word as Power, I could not help but think of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-World-as-Power-John/dp/818598817X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376498186&sr=8-1&keywords=the+world+as+power

Sir John Woodroffe published a series of books regarding Shaktic Yoga that cover a wide range of topics including Kundalini, Tantra, all kinds of Yoga, Tattvas, etc, basically all of the esoteric beliefs of the ancient Hindus. Of these beliefs is the idea that the Universe is literally made from the letters of the Sanskrit language. Essentially what is being said is that the Universe is made up of Shabda, ie sound. This "sound" that they refer to comes in 4 forms:

Para, Pasyanti, Madhyama, and Vaikhari.

These terms are relatively complex but they roughly correspond to the idea of physical, energetic/astral/emotional, mental, supra-mental, bliss bodies of the human being.

This is a quote from "The Serpent Power" by Sir John Woodroffe that I think briefly explains the idea of "The Word as Power":

"In each of the Chakras there is also a Bija (seed) Mantra of each of the Tattvas therein. They are the seed of the Tattva, for the latter springs from and re-enters the former. The Natural Name of anything is the sound which is produced by the action of the moving forces which constitute it. He therefore, it is said, who mentally and vocally utters with creative force the natural name of anything, brings into being the thing which bears that name. Thus "Ram" is the Bija of fire in the Manipura-Chakra. This Mantra "Ram" is said to be the expression in gross sound (Vaikhari-Shabda) of the subtle sound produced by the forces constituting fire.

The mere utterance, however, of "Ram" or any other Mantra is nothing but a movement of the lips. When, however, the Mantra is "awakened" (Prabuddha) - that is, when there is Mantra-caitanya (Mantra-consciousness) -then the Sadhaka can make the Mantra work.

However this may be, in all cases it is the creative thought which ensouls the uttered sound which works now in man's small "magic," just as it first worked in the "grand magical display" of the World Creator. His thought was the aggregate, with the creative power, of all thought. Each man is Shiva, and can attain His power to the degree of his ability to consciously realize himself as such."

As above, so below.

Offline Profile E-mail