<  TechPrime  ~  Dave Smith Instruments

PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 7:59 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
Anyone here have/use any of the dsi synths? i'm wanting to buy one, but i'm torn between the prophet '08 and the mono evolver. anyone have any experience with either of these? any suggestions, comments?

i'm looking at those due to their strong sequencer/arp abilities, and their obvious thick, vintage sound. i've not gotten to play with either in person, especially since we have no music shops where i live and i don't believe the nearest guitar centers even have these out on the floor...so i might be being one of these just off of albums i've heard utilize them, and youtube videos i've seen reviewing them...

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 6:33 am
I have no experience with any of them personally unfortunately. A friend of mine had an evolver for awhile and was very impressed with it. He just said editing on it was difficult but once he had it down he could get some insane sounds out of it. That was with the desktop version, I imagine the keyboard version would be easier to use and more accessable. I'm yet to meet anyone who's been dissapointed. I'd say either or just depending on personal taste. Both look like allot of fun to me.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 16th, 2009, 12:46 pm
yeah i agree - they look like a hell of a lot of fun, but also have extremely impressive sounds. i just purchased the first album from Majeure, which is a solo project from the drummer for Zombi. He used the evolver quite a bit on it...plus in the zombi material at times, so I know it can produce some great things...I just cannot figure out which one I'd get more out of.

There is also about a 600 dollar price difference between the two, so I don't want to mess it up! this would be a big purchase for me, so I want to really make sure its what I need/want before I go all out.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 7:57 pm
User avatarPosts: 4Location: NorcalJoined: January 28th, 2010, 7:37 pm
I love love love the Evolver! :mrgreen:
There are a million things that it can do that it is sometimes hard to focus, but its everything I love!
Here are some demos if you are interested:
www.virb.com/zerosuminertia2
www.virb.com/zerosuminertia4

That said, The MoPho doesn't interest me,
The evolver was the first and last piece that really interested me.

I think it is great that DSI is thriving and making new instruments, but not all of them are interesting for my needs.

Someday I would love to get the MEK with a dedicated knob for every function,etc...

I also have a Pro One which is fantastic! Dave has done some great work!

PostPosted: January 31st, 2010, 7:34 am
Yeah I think I am going to have to get a MEK at some point soon, I've heard too much I like about it to ignore it.

I have the prophet '08 and i'm still finding new stuff on it constantly. its a great board, especiallly for the very cheap 1300 i paid for it almost brand new.

i just sold a SCI split-eight which was a pretty cool synth too, and with that money i picked up an SCI drumtraks and an SCI sixtrak - which so far both are quite fun, and sound really good.

now, in addition to the MEK, if i could just find a Fugue and a Prelude from SCI, I'd be content. well...and a fizmo. and a bolfeld key. and a juptier 6. and a cs60. hmmm...no, i might not ever be content with my synths. damn addiction.

Offline Profile WWW YIM