<  TechPrime  ~  Mixing and mastering

PostPosted: February 21st, 2009, 3:48 am
User avatarPosts: 169Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
ASK Video has an interesting series concerning various aspects of mixing and mastering that I have considered investing in. Individual volumes and such are also available here. (And to think I went to Fullsail [Fool Sale] for this subject -- bloody hell.) Anyways, just throwing out some info on the matter -- carry on.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 21st, 2009, 6:41 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
fullsail huh? hah....i looked them up when i was 16 or 17, perhaps i signed up for some info to be sent to me or something. i am now 27 and STILL get calls and mail from them. it is ridiculous.

did you like it? learn anything? i've always been told by so many its a joke....

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: February 21st, 2009, 8:30 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Avoid Full Sale. They make their money from students and it's about getting as many students as possible.
They are not taken seriously within the music and post industries.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 21st, 2009, 2:40 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
fullsail huh? hah....i looked them up when i was 16 or 17, perhaps i signed up for some info to be sent to me or something. i am now 27 and STILL get calls and mail from them. it is ridiculous.

did you like it? learn anything? i've always been told by so many its a joke....

[stern voice] I could tell you a lot about Fullsail's RA program, and how under the glittering surface it's a rotting pile of #$%, and a financial black hole... but to make it simple, like B said, just avoid the place. Consider a conservatory or internship instead -- that's what I wish I had done.

(I may reiterate on your question in another thread later. btw, I dropped them like a bad habit and they STILL call and mail me too. F!@#ing A.)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 21st, 2009, 6:41 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
thats what i figured. i never had a real desire to go there after i heard they really don't do shit for you, or with you.

i don't want to pursue music recording/producing as a full time career. i have a wife and a 5 month old...my college degree is in business management, and i am 27 - heh, i don't think now would be a good time to give up my current career to run off and try to work at a studio somewhere for a few bucks an hour.

BUT - i do want to learn everything that is necessary to myself and my own personal work. thats where my curiosities come in about mixing, mastering and such...

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 30th, 2009, 11:04 pm
Edit: found it

Last edited by walking barcode on April 12th, 2009, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 12th, 2009, 9:42 am
Hearing first hand exactly why mixing on headphones is not a good idea -- even over good ones -- I have concluded that I will keep the headphones on hand for precise up-close sound tweaking, and will invest in something like a bluesky 2.1 monitor setup. Hopefully I will be able to make use of them at low volumes...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 9:44 pm
Greetings,

B, I understand your main software is Logic 8, but I see that you also own Live 6. Do you think Live is/is not comprehensive enough to carry out the task of mixing sound with precision and authority similar to Logic, or do you not really use it and have no opinion on its capabilities?

I have been a recreational Live user for a couple years now. I currently use Live 8 and have started to question whether the software is really up to the aforementioned task. Are the bundled audio effects and utilities (compression, reverb, EQ, etc) able to produce high quality results when employed with someone of skill? Or should even a skilled person invest in plugins like thesefrom NuGen Audio or thesefrom Blue Cat Audio?

What does your own plugin arsenal consist of, besides Altiverb?

Thanks,
~Chris

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 10:10 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I'm currently on Logic 9 as I keep up with upgrades after making sure each one is stable and compatible with what I use, and use it every day.
Live I haven't used for a while and as such haven't updated to v8, though I probably will when/if I need too. As such I can't comment on the features added since v6.

Note that each app is for very different purposes, and while Live excels on what it's designed too do, grows with each update, and you can do a great deal with it, including songwriting and mixing, it's still not a full-on production environment akin to Logic..

I don't have any problem with Live (it's a great piece of software, very nicely designed and engineered and very "Mac-like" (elegant), but I have more power and more tools at my fingertips with Logic and IT excels at what it is designed to do.

As for EQ etc, I don't know what Live comes with these days. I have a bunch of third party plugins but I use the ones that come with Logic a great deal (some exclusively) and they're plenty for most of my needs.

I'm not familiar with the plugins you mention.
There's not that much between most EQ, dynamics etc plugs as long as you stay with the established names.
Waves are way overpriced and haven't really evolved for a few years now. iZotope makes a nice selection of the basics that probably do everything you'd need for extra tweaking, but for most of my things it's usually the bundled stuff that I use.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 10th, 2010, 2:22 am
If you want to learn a bit more about music audio and mastering I highly recommend these 2 books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mixing-Audio-Co ... 454&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Audio ... 508&sr=1-1

Then on top of that, practice practice practice ;-)

Steve

High Quality Professional Sound Libraries.
http://www.hauntedhouserecords.co.uk/SoundLibraries
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 6:35 pm
Posts: 15Location: Milan, ItalyJoined: August 28th, 2007, 4:25 am
i can also vouch for those books! the bob katz one especially is really good.

i master professionally, my web site is here:

http://hermetechmastering.com

i would be happy to do a free track for anyone, and let you know what settings i used.

all the best,

gregg

Last edited by Babaluma on March 18th, 2010, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2010, 6:30 am
Your link is wrong or dead Gregg.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 18th, 2010, 6:34 am
Posts: 15Location: Milan, ItalyJoined: August 28th, 2007, 4:25 am
thanks brian,

corrected, silly typo!!!

:oops:

PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 12:21 am
Any Cubase or Pro Tools users in here? Getting ready to jump over to a real DAW, not to diminish the value of Ableton. I like what I see with Cubase's production assisting abilities, which is its strong point from what I understand. Any opinions on why Cubase might be considered the lesser option when compared to the industry standard that is Pro Tools?

Offline Profile WWW