<  TechPrime  ~  Smack My Batch Up - Free sample mangling software!

PostPosted: April 11th, 2013, 2:07 pm
Hello friends and fellow Lustmord fans. I've recently got into using Max/MSP to make fun little patches and I'd like to share one with you. It's called Smack My Batch Up.

Basically I wanted a program that would batch process sounds with long delays and reverbs to create spooky drones to use in my ambient tracks, while I was free to go off and do other things. I tried a couple of programs out but couldn't find anything that would do it to my liking so I decided to make my own program instead. It works really well for generating drones but you can also use it for other things. You can chain up to 5 VSTs together in any order to do whatever you like. You can watch a tutorial video I made over on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/63644847

Standalone download for Mac and Windows here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8ixjtswunczt0q/Smack_My_Batch_Up_OSX.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3a2aoxrdd4atdf/Smack_My_Batch_Up_WIN.zip

It comes with a PDF manual describing how to use it. If you do use it and get anything good from it then please let me know. I'd really like to see what people are doing with it.

Finally, you can check out some of my dark ambient tunes made using mostly sounds generated by Smack My Batch Up on my soundcloud page:

https://soundcloud.com/biorhythm_uk/sets/hypostasis-ep

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: April 15th, 2013, 7:25 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Intriguing...

I'll check out the Mac version.

- about to order Max for Live.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 15th, 2013, 8:18 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Tried it out quickly with the following observations...

I have thousands of audio files with most being in AIF format.
The fact that the app only works with WAV is a real hinderance in that respect.

I have a large collection of AU plugs and don't use VST at all.
The fact that the app is VST only therefore makes it unusual for me personally unfortunately.

Btw, I had repeated failures to load a sound until I renamed it as the app doesn't seem to recognize file names with spaces in them, which most of mine have.

I'd be interested in seeing what it's capable of, but in it's current state I'm unable too.

I may be wrong since I haven't tried it, but the impression I get that it basically re-records the audio file with effects applied, which is something easily done with other applications ?

Thanks for making it available and good luck with future projects.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 17th, 2013, 3:14 pm
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response. I'm a big fan. I'm so sorry you found it a frustrating experience. I am absolutely NOT a programming expert or Max whizz of any sort. The software has been the result of a long process of trial and error and it clearly has a way to go, based on your experience. The fact it doesn't load AIFFs could be fixed I'm sure. I am a Windows user so the whole thing was made from a Windows perspective, hence VSTs and WAV files. I tried it out on a Mac before releasing it to the world and got it to work so I assumed everything was fine without testing it too rigorously. I clearly should have done more testing but not owning a Mac makes that rather difficult.

I have been informed by someone who downloaded it from another forum that it works with AU plugins, although I cannot verify this first hand. If you were unable to load anything then I guess it must struggle with other plug-in formats. The name issue I thought I had sorted out. It will load any wav file from my computer without any special attention being given to the file names (that one took a lot of head scratching to figure out and apparently I still havn't solved it completely!).

Regarding the fact that there are other programs out there that do batch processing, there certainly are, but all the ones Ive tried suffer from the same problem: if you load a 10 second file and apply a one minute reverb to it you get a 10 second file back - it just cuts of the reverb tail. When my software is working correctly it will record for as long as there is sound. I figured out you can do a work around in Adobe Audition if you add silence to the end of each file and generate the sound into it but I didn't find this particularly useful, especially when it came to auditioning FX and tempo syncing delays. That is really the only reason my software exists. If you know of a program that doesn't suffer from this problem I'd love to know about it.

Once again, I'm very disappointed you didn't get more out of it. The lesson I've learned is it should really be Windows only until I can figure out how it functions on a Mac. I would definitely recommend Max and M4L, they're great products if you can figure them out, but as my thing demonstrates, it can be very hit-and-miss!

Offline Profile E-mail