<  TechPrime  ~  Sound Design Question

PostPosted: June 21st, 2006, 5:26 am
Posts: 5Location: Toronto, OntarioJoined: December 27th, 2005, 12:35 am
For those of you here involved with sound design, do you do a lot of recording and synthesis to produce your effects, or do you work with sample cds and tools to manipulate their contents?

Further, what are good sources for royalty free, commerical sample cds geared towards sound effects and sound design? I know of www.sound-ideas.com, but I could use any other leads.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 26th, 2006, 6:53 am
Personally, I use a mixture of both synthesis and sampling, but I never use sample CDs...I find it's always more interesting (and spontaneous) to go out and do some field recordings, and then manipulate the hell out of them.

Basically, all the "main" sounds, 90% of any piece I do, I construct via synthesis, but then I use the samples to add subtle background atmospherics.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 1st, 2006, 6:46 pm
pretty much the same, using mostly synths or my own field recordings, sometimes various objects mic'd and processed "live" in the "studio".

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 1st, 2006, 9:42 pm
Can any of you recommend a decent cheap(~50$)ish mic for field recording?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 7th, 2006, 5:51 am
User avatarPosts: 9Location: germanyJoined: March 16th, 2006, 3:46 am
fkxik wrote:

well for 50$ you'll get rather the cheapish than the microphone ;)

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 31st, 2007, 9:17 am
User avatarPosts: 4Location: christianopolisJoined: March 30th, 2007, 8:55 am
fkxik wrote:

If you are going to do this then you are going to have to invest in proper mics, and multiples. However, before you rush out and buy them you need to figure out what kind of recordings you will be primarily making i.e. inside, outside, percussive, ambient etc...

As to the original question of the thread, any sound design work I do relies mainly on my own recordings. I am not a fan of sample cds. There are enough carbon copies masquerading as art. Plus half the fun of sound design is the exploration of sounds and ambiance, ever wondered what a contact mike on a toilet bowl as it gets smashed sounds like ?

You get the picture; there is this huge incredible world of sound and variation waiting at your front door, why not make use of it.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 30th, 2007, 5:28 am
User avatarPosts: 32Location: WalesJoined: April 23rd, 2007, 4:46 am
I too use synthesis and sampling in my work but do not use preproduced Cd, preferring to create my own sounds from scratch...

But I did one track just for my own listening that used the tibetan CDs from the (i think) celestial harmonies label - raw non western sounds that i played by skipping from track to track through a range of effects to get the sound I wanted..

Offline Profile