<  Deep Prime  ~  Foley Industry.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2009, 9:24 am
User avatarPosts: 23Location: EuropeJoined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:41 pm
B. Firstly thank you for all the amazing hours of ambience and sounds you have provided us with over the years.

Do you have any advice for somebody wishing to begin a career in Foley sound design? I have completed work for radio theatre projects so far. I have finished two soundtracks also. Im obessed with sounds and spend much of my time experimenting. However in my town of manchester uk there are no post production studios it seems. We have sound recording courses but none of which are dedicated strictly to foley.

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: June 6th, 2009, 10:00 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I have a friend who's a Foley artist here in LA and who's kept pretty busy, but I have no insight on how one gets into the into the field myself. I do know that it helps to be where the work is though.
I've been on a few Foley stages for raw material purposes but that's all.

And btw, Foley and Sound Design are two quite different fields.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 7th, 2009, 1:05 am
Thank you, I found it quite strange that even in london there are no dedicated courses for this medium.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: June 7th, 2009, 7:28 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I don't think it's really something you can teach in an academic setting.

It's a matter of getting some work at a Foley stage and learning the ropes.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 7th, 2009, 8:00 am
I was considering if it was adaptable. I am planning to make a request to do a two week workshop at Manchester SSR, which is our sound college. I intend to demonstrate the history and exploration of foley.

Hopefully that will make studios more receptive to me. A studio may be able to find a job for me making brews for people on the foley stage until im able to take a position. :D

I've always been quite interested in how sounds conjure up images and events, so a profession doing the reverse seemed appealing.

Offline Profile