<  Deep Prime  ~  Career questions

PostPosted: July 20th, 2008, 6:28 pm
Posts: 6Location: Los Angeles, CAJoined: December 9th, 2007, 12:47 am
I'm currently in a music counseling class, and one of the tasks we've been asked to complete is some sort of interview with someone in some music career. Well, I'm here, so I suppose there's no harm in asking some questions.

First, a little background on me. I'm studying to be a composer, though I'm still early in my studies, and I'm pretty interested in the work you do. I like your ambient soundscapes quite a bit and I also plan on looking into sound engineering, as this counseling class is teaching me composing probably won't sustain me unless I'm lucky. I see that you have some experience with that, so you as an interviewee seemed like a good choice.

What led you to this career? Did you always want to create music, or were your dreams initially somewhere else?

What keeps you in this career and if you were to leave it, where other type of job do you think you'd end up in?

How would one gain entry into this career?

We had some speakers come into the class from different field in music and one theme they all had in common was the importance of networking. Would you say networking has been an important factor in your ability to gain work?

What type of people do you believe are qualified for the type of work you do?

How is the job market these days? What kind of wages and benefits are to be expected? I understand that most freelance musicians look to unions for cheap insurance. Does your label contribute anything in the form of benefits?

If you could go back in time knowing what you know now, what would you do differently (besides cheat the lotto)?

Well, that's the extent of the questions I'll barrage you with. Thanks if you decide to answer or read them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 21st, 2008, 12:08 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
kevin wrote:
I'm currently in a music counseling class, and one of the tasks we've been asked to complete is some sort of interview with someone in some music career.

I'm assuming it meant a more personal interview...

Quote:
What led you to this career? Did you always want to create music, or were your dreams initially somewhere else?

Being creative (in any capacity) is something that you do, if you're lucky events conspire that allow you to make an income from doing it.

Quote:
How would one gain entry into this career?

I used to have a long answer for that question but these days find it easier to direct people to Lukas Kendall's article So You Want To Be a Film Composer which covers it well. He has it covered and I know some of the people he consulted.

Quote:
We had some speakers come into the class from different field in music and one theme they all had in common was the importance of networking. Would you say networking has been an important factor in your ability to gain work?

In my case anything but as I do next to no networking. I'm not the networking type.

Quote:
What type of people do you believe are qualified for the type of work you do?

Somebody crazy/stupid enough to want to do it.
And I'm serious. You have to be crazy to choose thus kind of life, it's not something you do if you want to have stability, financial or otherwise.
Creative people do it regardless.

Quote:
How is the job market these days? What kind of wages and benefits are to be expected? I understand that most freelance musicians look to unions for cheap insurance. Does your label contribute anything in the form of benefits?

You really need to research your subject more.
If you're freelance you fend for yourself. If you're really lucky you might even be able to afford benefits.
You can expect no wages for extended periods of time unless you're one of the lucky few.

Quote:
If you could go back in time knowing what you know now, what would you do differently.

I'd have folded the label I used to have much sooner if I knew downloading was going to have such a major impact, and for the same reason I suspect that I might stop doing what I do altogether, but that brings us back to my first answer...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 21st, 2008, 6:02 pm
Posts: 6Location: Los Angeles, CAJoined: December 9th, 2007, 12:47 am
B wrote:
I'm assuming it meant a more personal interview...

Well, I asked if it could be via email, and they said it was fine. I figured it'd just make things more convenient.

B wrote:
Somebody crazy/stupid enough to want to do it.
And I'm serious. You have to be crazy to choose thus kind of life, it's not something you do if you want to have stability, financial or otherwise.
Creative people do it regardless.

Yeah, instability has been a major theme in this class. And I think I must be a little crazy to find it appealing. I've decided (in my naivety) that I'd rather not know the path my life is going to take. Although no doubt a harder life, I think it'll prove more interesting than waking up every day and going to the office. Who knows, though...maybe after a month of eating ramen I may change my mind.

Anyhow, thanks for taking time out to answer some questions. I appreciate it.

Offline Profile