<  Deep Prime  ~  post production and synthesis methods

PostPosted: November 19th, 2008, 4:22 am
Posts: 1Location: swanseaJoined: November 19th, 2008, 3:12 am
Hello, My Name is Robert John. Iam Currently studying for a Bsc in Music Technology at Swansea Metropolitan University in Wales. For my Dissertation Iam studying and recording Ambient music. I realise you may be extremely busy at this point in time but I would be really grateful if you could answer some questions about your techniques that you have built over the years.

1.-What methods of synthesis do you use? The 'Other ' album seems to have either sampled textures or evolving textures that Granular synthesis would achieve?

2.- What kind of frequency balance across your mixes do you aim for and is a lot of Reverb essential?

3.- What are your view points on Compression (Dynamic) in Ambient music.

Thank you for your time and much gratitude.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 19th, 2008, 9:37 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
1. There is no granular synthesis on [ O T H E R ] . Very little synthesis at all in fact.

2. I'm not sure I understand the question ?

3. I presume you mean the kind of compression that's all too popular to apply to a final mix these days ? I'm against such compression. Dynamics are an important element of any kind of music and compression destroys it.

Offline Profile WWW