<  Deep Prime  ~  Found this in a used-record section of a local store.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2009, 6:50 pm
User avatarPosts: 63Location: Planet EarthJoined: October 14th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Now I'm not trying to point fingers here and accuse anyone of plagiarism, I swear, but I found this album in the used record section of my local F.Y.E. store.

Now I had to do a double take when I saw this. I thought to myself: "No way! Someone turned in a copy of Lustmord's "Rising" into FYE? That can't be! I must be the only one in my city who listens to lustmord."

Sure enough, it wasn't a Lustmord album, just some odd, no-name record from the artist(band?) "Stella/US". But I couldn't get over the similarities between the two covers. I was especially struck when I saw the album's name: "Ascention" (kinda sounds like "Rising" to me)

Anyway, iTunes says that this album is from the year 1997, 9 years before Rising. So if one album cover did influence another, it must have been this one that influenced rising.

Just thought this was pretty interesting, and that the Lustmord community might find the same humor in it that I did.

P.S. Here is a scan of my copy of Rising, just for comparison:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 10th, 2009, 11:26 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
!

I'm assuming this is a Photochop joke ?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 10th, 2009, 11:37 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Did you really find a physical copy of this ?
It's just too weird to be true.
Same layout, similar texture, even the same color ?

I see hat it is listed on iTunes, but a "release" date is whatever the original filer choses to input. I'm very skeptical that a physical copy exists.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 12:08 am
Sorry B, no joke. I do admit that I fixed the color up a little in Photoshop, since the only large image I could find was in iTunes and was severely faded in color. I did see an actual, PHYSICAL copy of the CD in the store however, and the colors were a spot-on match to Rising. So fixing it up in Photoshop did not change anything. As far as the actual layout goes, it's all real -- no joke.

I did not buy it though, but you can find links to it both here and here. As you can see in the links, the colors are a dead match, and I never touched those images at all. The Amazon link has a bunch of used copies for sale at ridiculously low prices... maybe it's worth getting a copy just for laughs.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 12:14 am
P.S. I just wanted to throw in there: "Great job on The Dark Places of the Earth!" I'm loving it. Thanks. 8)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 2:07 am
Posts: 14Location: eugene, orJoined: September 17th, 2006, 8:09 pm
very weird!

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 10:46 am
User avatarPosts: 76Location: SwedenJoined: October 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
Well, since both the links state the release date as 1997, I assume that the whole thing is just a bizarre coincidence. It has to be, hasn't it? The cover of Radiohead's Amnesiac album is also quite similar to both of these, only horizontal:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 10:54 am
I find it particularly bizarre as the widths, placements etc are almost identical. Plus the inverted text etc.

I was very skeptical seeing the same color tone too, but that has been explained at least.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 11:08 am
User avatarPosts: 170Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
Wow. This must be some kind of subconscious 2012 prophecy, whose seeds were sowed into the ethers of knowledge many thousands of years ago during an intense shamanic voyage by primitive man, somewhere in Europe? Or maybe it’s an event of synchronicity perpetuated by the mothman? :D

That’s one freak coincidence.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 11th, 2009, 11:15 am
I think I'm going to buy a cheap copy of it on Amazon so I can make a real-life, side-by-side comparison.

Offline Profile