<  Deep Prime  ~  music school

PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 5:20 am
I'm sure you've been asked this somewhere, but looking through the interviews I have'nt found anything yet. Please point me in the right direction if it's in there and you dont feel like repeating yourself.

It seems to me you're for the most part self taught, however have you ever had any formal education in recording or music production? Also do you have any opinions about schooling in general for any wannabes who might be interested in persuing a career in music and sound design for film, TV, etc?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 3:24 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
forensicentomology wrote:
It seems to me you're for the most part self taught, however have you ever had any formal education in recording or music production? Also do you have any opinions about schooling in general for any wannabes who might be interested in perusing a career in music and sound design for film, TV, etc?

I have no training of any kind for sound, music, engineering or production. I make up my own way as I go along. I have become knowledgeable about much of it over the years, but as much through finding out the hard way (with mistakes) as much as from more positive experience.

Schooling is always a plus but it only works if you attend a good school or have a good teacher. Most of the supposed engineering/production schools are a con anyway.
I have opinions but I'd have to write an essay here and I don't have the time right now :)

I do suggest that anyone with aspirations about working in sound for pictures read this, which says it all pretty well and with which I pretty much agree with 100%.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 5:23 am
Quote:
it used to be that when people wanted to be in music, they wanted to be a great pianist or a Broadway songwriter. Then, everybody wanted to be in a band. Now, everyone's already in a band, and they want to make money by scoring films.
:lol:

Thanks. Good article.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 30th, 2006, 11:59 am
User avatarPosts: 170Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
oh boy, school. i attended a quaint little engineering school down in good ol' orlando, fl. some may have heard of a place called fullsail (aka foolsale). having attended this business institution (cuse that's all it really is...) for 6 months, i droped out $15,000 in the hole. basically, u pay to rent their nice, shiney, expensive equipment. it was a very dissolutioning experience. most of the people there expected to become rockstars. having followed up on some of those who did graduate, it pains me to see them working in the sales dept. of same ash or guitar center. there a quite a few individuals who walk away from that place disgruntled or just plain disgusted. i'm one. but that's just me i guess.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 30th, 2006, 1:44 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
walking barcode wrote:
i attended a quaint little engineering school down in good ol' orlando, fl. some may have heard of a place called fullsail (aka foolsale). having attended this business institution (cuse that's all it really is...) for 6 months, i droped out $15,000 in the hole. basically, u pay to rent their nice, shiney, expensive equipment.

Unfortunately that's exactly what most such schools are set up to do. Get your money, not teach. Fullsail is particularly bad and those who attend don't get any real practical experience.

Trace used to manage a recording studio in Hollywood and was always bemused by the "training" (or lack thereof) of interns who'd attended such schools.
The best place to learn is from the bottom rung at a commercial studio., though many of those are more ready to exploit than teach.

My sympathies.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2007, 11:45 am
Posts: 2Location: A Magnetic GlacierJoined: October 13th, 2006, 5:34 pm
B wrote:
walking barcode wrote:
i attended a quaint little engineering school down in good ol' orlando, fl. some may have heard of a place called fullsail (aka foolsale). having attended this business institution (cuse that's all it really is...) for 6 months, i droped out $15,000 in the hole. basically, u pay to rent their nice, shiney, expensive equipment.

Unfortunately that's exactly what most such schools are set up to do. Get your money, not teach. Fullsail is particularly bad and those who attend don't get any real practical experience.

Trace used to manage a recording studio in Hollywood and was always bemused by the "training" (or lack thereof) of interns who'd attended such schools.
The best place to learn is from the bottom rung at a commercial studio., though many of those are more ready to exploit than teach.

My sympathies.

I can totally understand where you are coming from with FullSail. I looked into their bullshit recording courses and even attended their open house when I lived in Clearwater. The atmosphere and personalities reminded me of a certain celebrity church...

By the time I got to the end of the day I figured out that they are
merely selling your dreams/goals back to you - and in reality giving you nothing.

Dream Pirates.

Taxi works in a similar manner as well.

And Brian I want to thank you for providing invaluable links on your website in regards to Film Music. So much information and much appreciated! It lit a fire under my ass to get even more film credits under my belt. One is such a lonely number.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2007, 12:50 pm
Good to be of some use Jason.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2007, 2:35 pm
Posts: 4Location: Glendale, CAJoined: December 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm
While I agree that audio schools are businesses first and educational institutions second (as are most trade schools), I wonder if the problem really lies with the "schools" or with the morons who attend them. I went to CRAS, in Arizona, and feel it served it's purpose well, insomuch as it gave me a great foundation to build upon (and for half the price of FullSail). However, they'll take anyone who can pay, and the music industry being what it is, audio schools attract some real "interesting" folks. Kids that are barely literate, who'd rather get stoned and "make some records, bro!" Unfortunately, these idiots make up the majority of the student body. They make it out to commercial studios and make asses of themselves and the schools they went to. Sure, the schools are to blame for accepting anyone off the street, but as the saying goes, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Offline Profile