<  DeepCore  ~  Headphone Albums

PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 7:01 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
I am curious to see what albums this forum can list that are headphone experiences - and I don't mean just that they sound good on a pair of headphones. Albums that you listen to from beginning to end and it feels like you've left your body - that the sounds have transferred you into a new world.

Mine might be kind of obvious, but they're just some albums I was thinking of this morning and can probably think of more later once I've woken up a bit more.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (I know its obvious, but come on!)

Tangerine Dream - Zeit

Lustmord - The Place Where The Black Stars Hang

Bohren und club of der gore - Black Earth (thanks again B for listing this album)

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 10:09 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 27Location: MichiganJoined: September 6th, 2006, 1:20 pm
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

Sigur Rós - ágætis byrjun

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 10:49 am
Posts: 167Location: EnglandJoined: December 30th, 2006, 11:44 am
Meshuggah - 'Catch 33'
Blut Aus Nord - 'MoRT'
ISIS - 'Panopticon'
Jesu - 's/t'
Sunn O))) - 'Flight of the Behemoth'

To name but a few! I associate good headphone albums with layered, textured sounds, which are usually interrupted and flow as one whole piece (eg Catch 33).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 4:46 pm
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
arrghhh my least favorite phrase ever. "headphone albums". I can't stand headphones and i think they usually end up just ruining the experience for me rather than make it better. To me a "headphone album" is really just an album you should listen to late at night in the dark on a good set of loudspeakers. Headphones usually have completely bunk imaging and it feels completely lacking. I think people need to spend more money on their home stereo/home theater and stop using this term, and being mislead into thinking an uncomfortable set of headphones is the way to go for "atmospheric, trippy" experience. Seriously, i don't know why so many people feel this way. Have you never heard what an even decent audio setup can do? Maybe there's too much room sound or something and you don't get as "lost"... i dunno. I could never go back to headphones for a "good" listening experience since aquiring and properly setting up some decent loudspeakers.

Now that my rant is over, I'll say that there's just way too many albums that fit this description for me, so instead i'll just say Passion Immortal, which is a mixing project of mine where i take the music from other artists which induce this feeling for me and try to make flowing, changing, 2 and a half hour "epics' out of them. hehe.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 7:07 pm
I completely forgot Eluvium's new album, Copia. Absolutely beautiful on just about any kind of audio output.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 8:02 pm
tool - lateralus.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Passion Immortal

You should try a decent set of headphones.
http://www.lustmord.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 5:53 am
Passion Immortal is completely right. Nothing, I repeat nothing, can replicate the 'physical' experience of listening to music on quality loud speakers, as the artist intended. I've always wondered why people are so obsessed with getting expensive headphones, when you are getting, in effect, a poorer representation of the music.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 9:23 am
Before posting a reply to this topic, don't base your headphone experience with a set of Koss headphones you bought from circuit city.

I don't think shipwreckage started this topic to discuss headphones -vs- loudspeakers. If you don't have a list, fuck off to the next topic.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 1:13 pm
Why are you so aggro about it? That's pretty weak. He brought up some valuable points, whereas you have contributed 'fuck off.' Also, it's pretty presumptious of you to think that we haven't tried out good headphones before.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 2:23 pm
I have to admit my original intention was not to spark any debate by any means...I've never used the term headphone albums in my life until this posting, so I didn't mean to 'offend' anyone with it.

I simply like putting headphones on while I work as to cancel out the rest of the noise going on around me at school or work or the office or whatever, ya know? There are particular albums that create a special sense of movement while listening to them and being distant from the rest of the world.

I don't listen to these while on drugs, I've never done drugs in my life! I don't drink and then put on headphones, so theres no trippy experience for me...just enjoying music and the experience it brings. I'm sure spending lots of money on high end systems makes a world of difference, but I don't have that kind of money for a sound system.

I just got married, I am a college senior and just opened a vintage clothing store with my wife...the last thing I could do is go crazy on a home sound system. It would be nice - but regardless, I still enjoy music as much as the next guy whether I spent ten bucks on wal mart headphones or ten thousand on the world's greatest speaker system...

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 8:19 pm
User avatarPosts: 170Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
I don't listen to these while on drugs, I've never done drugs in my life! I don't drink and then put on headphones...

oh, but what fun it can be :D

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 11:01 pm
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
will_ wrote:
Passion Immortal

You should try a decent set of headphones.
http://www.lustmord.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187

I've tried all sorts of different pairs, up to about 600 dollars a pair. I still don't feel like i get proper imaging nor the "feel" of really "being there" in the music. I can see shipwreckage's point for sure, as headphones do allow portability AND they help block out excess noise better, PLUS you won't be annoying others, no doubt about it... but i certainly think for the "dedicated" listen when those things aren't an issue, no headphones can hope to compare with good to great loudspeakers. Anyway i didn't really mean to stir debate either, it's just something that always erks me a bit... this "headphone music" idea.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 20th, 2008, 3:17 pm
User avatarPosts: 3Location: PortugalJoined: March 20th, 2008, 6:44 am
Quote:
Bohren und club of der gore - Black Earth

Yep.

Coil - Time Machines, too.

Offline Profile