<  DeepCore  ~  favorite beer

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2007, 3:03 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
mgriffin wrote:
Speaking of which (my Forum) I switched mine to phpBB, too. Deepnet looks great!

Keep on topic Griffin, or I'll have to ban you ;)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2007, 3:07 pm
Posts: 8Location: Prescott, WIJoined: March 20th, 2007, 8:21 pm
Mike, Brutal Bitter is indeed from Rogue in Oregon; I think it's brewed at the Newport facility, but I could be wrong. It's got a special palce in my heart: I used to live in Newport, back when I worked fishing boats. I was one of the first customers at the original Rogue brewpub. Many a hazy memory from back then...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2007, 3:24 pm
Posts: 10Location: PortlandJoined: March 22nd, 2007, 9:21 am
Quote:
have u tried the winter collection (or any season for that matter)?

that octoberfest brew is pretty damn good.

I have been trying the various other Samuel Smiths, over the years, whenever I can't get my hands on Old Brewery Pale Ale (which for some reason is the hardest to find of all their main brews). I like all of them fairly well, especially the Oatmeal Stout, the Nut Brown, and Taddy Porter... but the "organically produced lager" is nasty.

Haven't tried the "Winter Welcome" which surely wins the award for "ugliest beer bottle label ever, in history."

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2007, 10:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 170Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
mgriffin wrote:
Quote:

I have been trying the various other Samuel Smiths, over the years, whenever I can't get my hands on Old Brewery Pale Ale (which for some reason is the hardest to find of all their main brews). I like all of them fairly well, especially the Oatmeal Stout, the Nut Brown, and Taddy Porter... but the "organically produced lager" is nasty.

Haven't tried the "Winter Welcome" which surely wins the award for "ugliest beer bottle label ever, in history."

bare with me:

Sam Adams has produced several limited-run "Extreme Beers," which have pushed the physical limits of alcohol content for the brewing process. These include Millennium, Utopias, Triple Bock, and Chocolate Bock. Due to the extremely high alcohol volume in these brews (as high as 25% for the Utopias), their sale is restricted and can not be sold in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, and West Virginia (only Alabama, Louisiana, and Utah for the Chocolate Bock.)

ok my point (or not), and What I find curious is that you can purchase a 95%, 190 proof bottle of everclear, as far as I know, anywhere in the US... don't make sense.

"go look it up or go to a forum that is about beer."

'tis a fleeting curiousity... I ramble.

speaking of ramble, i heard they were making a new Rambo movie that no shut up.

(cue lowering of brow) :shock:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 24th, 2007, 12:59 pm
Can't get everclear in Minnesota; but you make a good point.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 25th, 2007, 2:30 am
User avatarPosts: 41Location: Currently playing in the sandbox that is ArizonaJoined: May 19th, 2006, 10:54 am
Kaiserbeer. = By far my favorite beer, @20 euro's a bottle
Phungstadter = Favorite commercial beer.

This was a pretty... random topic :shock:

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2007, 4:36 am
User avatarPosts: 15Location: Kiel/GermanyJoined: November 22nd, 2005, 4:27 am
There is nothing better than a homebrewed beer.
I' am am homebrewer ( mash not extract) since 2004.
I love being down in the dark cellar, where my small brewery is located,
drinking beer and looking for the fourth and final key.
Zum Wohl !

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2007, 2:08 pm
Selector wrote:
There is nothing better than a homebrewed beer.
I' am am homebrewer ( mash not extract) since 2004.
I love being down in the dark cellar, where my small brewery is located,
drinking beer and looking for the fourth and final key.
Zum Wohl !

wow really? i've really been considering the sam adams homebrew contest but i have no experience brewing. sounds like playing with an "adult" chemistry set...fun

what could you say about your experience brewing; setup, ingredients, advice, etc...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 4th, 2007, 11:32 am
I've been brewing since 1986; a great hobby!

Great homebrew forum here: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/

Not only is homebrew better than most commercial brews, it's fun, too!

Go to http://www.northernbrewer.com/ for supplies; start with an extract/partial grain kit to get your hands dirty. You'll be hooked in no time, so be prepared to spend a small fortune.

Some thoughts:

Don't skimp on cheap plastic gear; get glass carboys, etc. Bottling sucks, so go with soda kegs. Use a wort chiller; don't rely on an ice bath to cool the wort. Use a liquid yeast starter, not dry yeast. Start with an Ale, not a Lager; easier to ferment, as it can handle a broader range of temperatures. You can't be too anal about sanitization, keep your gear clean!

Most importantly, don't worry, relax, and have a homebrew!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 4th, 2007, 4:57 pm
whoa...thanks man :)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 18th, 2007, 11:54 am
Posts: 7Location: Des Moines, IAJoined: March 26th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Golden City Brewery's Outmeal Stout. Hands DOWN. It is only available in Golden Colorado three blocks from Coors.

Kristian Day
Director, Producer, and Composer
for Television and Film
Member of the Iowa Motion Picture Association

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2569699/
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 19th, 2007, 6:25 pm
mgriffin wrote:
Quote:

got a recommendation on the Samuel Smith brews from a friend of mine, so far tried both the Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale, both of which I've really liked (as a matter of fact I'm probably going to crack open a bottle of the Oatmeal Stout a little later :wink: ). I've tried some of the New Belgium offerings... 1554 (weird, but enjoyable in the right setting), Abbey Ale (somewhat similar to the 1554 but a bit lighter and tamer, could see having this on a regular basis) and their Sunshine Wheat Beer (light but with a good flavor imo). I've had Avery's Mephistopheles Stout (pretty extreme, bitter and sweet w/ a 16% alcohol content) and The Czar Imperial Stout (again, similar taste to their Mephistopheles but toned down. quite enjoyed the pint I had), tried Stone Brewing's Arrogant Bastard Ale (not to my liking, just tasted like a regular beer but multiply that by a factor of 10) and Youngs Double Chocolate Stout (quite good imo, but the taste is so consistent from beginning to end I'd think it would appeal to some. and I'd avoid the canned version, got a four pack recently and they tasted a bit flat). other than those I routinely drink Guinness Extra Stout and Negra Modello (about the best beers I'm able to get my hands on locally without having to drive 40 miles).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 21st, 2007, 8:13 pm
Posts: 7Location: Des Moines, IAJoined: March 26th, 2007, 1:41 pm
totally drank a Witches Brew this warm summer eve. It went very well with the movie "Cemetery Man"

Kristian Day
Director, Producer, and Composer
for Television and Film
Member of the Iowa Motion Picture Association

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2569699/
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2007, 10:59 pm
Posts: 4Location: Glendale, CAJoined: December 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm
G. Schneider & Sohn Wiesen Edel-Weisse. Yum. Making me thirsty!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 6:07 pm
Brandy Alexander

Offline Profile