<  TechPrime  ~  New Technology, Does it sound too good?

PostPosted: July 7th, 2007, 9:31 pm
Posts: 7Location: Des Moines, IAJoined: March 26th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Ok thise debate was done with CDs decades ago.

I have been listen to new stuff by Skinny Puppy, Richard Devine, and a few others.

All these guys tech gurus really big into the completely computer based studio and virtual instruments. Now I am very close to that but not entirely(hand held tape recorders are still big in my house). I listen to the new Skinny Puppy stuff and I just do not hear one thing that sounds organic or even strikes a little bit of emotion. I'm not discussing their song writing ability at all. But I am talking about how super crisp and "shiny" their new sound is. The shade of fear that used to come over me when I listened to them is no longer there.

The new Throbbing Gristle is the same way for me(please understand that it kills me to say that about them). The analog organic dirt is not there.

So what I am really getting at is do we sacrifice an element of music with the advancement of new technology?

please discuss

Kristian Day
Director, Producer, and Composer
for Television and Film
Member of the Iowa Motion Picture Association

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2569699/
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 8th, 2007, 5:47 am
Posts: 167Location: EnglandJoined: December 30th, 2006, 11:44 am
I think the better artists will realise that you can still employ new/modern methods of instrumentation and recording, whilst still keeping an organic edge to it all. I know exactly what you are saying; I loathe modern, shiny productions, which sound all too safe and lack any edge.

Take a band like Neurosis; they do it exactly right, in my opinion. That is, they employ modern, ambient styled soundscapes whilst still keeping a roomy, organic production. In fact, that juxtaposition can be fertile gound for creativity.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 8th, 2007, 9:25 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
skinny puppy, sadly, lost their edge a few years back. they should have never reunited in my opinion because you could just tell they were not going to sound the same in the least. i choose to not even listen to their new material after i listened to greater wrong of the right - its too political, too shiney, too mainstream - they're tired of making underground music and tried to expand their fan base to get mainstream listeners in. thats understandable, but in the process they lose people like myself who love their older, dirtier work.

i can't agree with you on the new throbbing gristle though. i think they did a great reunion album and i find their new sound absolutely beautiful. to me it is still dark and disgustingly amazing...i don't think there is any way possible to be able to lump their come back and the come back of skinny puppy into the same group. throbbing gristle, to me, stuck with their original feel while using some new instruments (laptops)...and they matured in their sound without losing sight of where they came from. i think the new tg album is truly a great step forward for them.

just my opinion. i am always afraid of old bands making new work because usually it does suck, and because they tend to over produce, so i can easily understand the point you're making and agree with it. (i just don't agree about the new tg album!)

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: July 8th, 2007, 9:46 am
Posts: 4Location: Glendale, CAJoined: December 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
...i choose to not even listen to their new material after i listened to greater wrong of the right - its too political...

Seriously? "VX Gas Attack" "Tin Omen" "Testure" "Nature's Revenge" "Shore Lined Poison." Whether or not their newer material is any good is open to discussion, but Skinny Puppy has always been a very, very political band.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 8th, 2007, 8:12 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
i agree that they've always been political....perhaps i should clarify. they lost their ability to write material that was worth a damn. the greater wrong of the right had childish themes and lyrics that sounded more like teen punk rock. it was a stereo-typical pile of nonsense that any mainstream, hollywood inspired musicians would write. i just couldn't find anything worth two shits in their new stuff.

don't get me wrong - i love old skinny puppy material, i think its great stuff...i just think they tainted their reputation by becoming a stereo-typical, anti-establishment band instead of something with substance and texture.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: July 9th, 2007, 10:34 am
Posts: 4Location: Glendale, CAJoined: December 14th, 2006, 12:43 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
...the greater wrong of the right had childish themes and lyrics that sounded more like teen punk rock...

Yeah, I hear you.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 9th, 2007, 4:38 pm
Posts: 7Location: Des Moines, IAJoined: March 26th, 2007, 1:41 pm
Keep in mind this is about the tech aspect. Although I think we are all the same page on SP, I want to make sure that we keep focused on the tech/recording/engineering of it all.

Kristian Day
Director, Producer, and Composer
for Television and Film
Member of the Iowa Motion Picture Association

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2569699/
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 15th, 2007, 9:24 am
i think it's a fine line...i use software for my tracks but, i try not to compress and squash all the life out of my tracks...i let my tracks breathe.

i don't think it's what you use...it's how you use it. let an average joe play on david gilmours guitar thru his rack and you still have an average joe playing. give david gilmour a cheap guitar and a crappy amp and i am sure he can make it sound great...

just my 3.2 cents

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2007, 4:12 am
User avatarPosts: 3Location: AustinJoined: November 3rd, 2007, 4:05 am
I think as well, it's not that they (being whoever) decide to make things more 'clean' it also has alot to do with new gear, the tech back in 95 is of course going to sound.. dirtier, more organic that todays newer programs/synths... personally I prefer the clean stuff, but then it depends on what I'm listening to.

Skinny Puppy? Will always admire their (more for cevins) work, loved the last two albums. perhaps though I may be a total fanboy in this instance.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2008, 10:10 pm
kday1985 wrote:
So what I am really getting at is do we sacrifice an element of music with the advancement of new technology?

In my opinion, no. Audio will be in a state of evolution until it reaches perfection. I think what you’re talking about is nostalgia more than anything. Along the way, we get used to all these artefacts in the audio that were never intended to be there in the first place (i.e. tape hiss). And if there’s something that was intended to be there that isn’t anymore, you can’t very well blame it on the advancement of technology, because we still have the technology to create stuff like we used to, it’s just that if it’s not being created like it used to, it’s generally a result of someone’s personal evolution. I guess what I’m saying is that if were talking about music itself, that really has nothing to do with technology. If we’re talking audio quality, the advancement of technology is crucial.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 5th, 2009, 3:16 am
User avatarPosts: 2Location: The Holy WellJoined: February 5th, 2009, 2:19 am
It could be argued that this is part of greater global homogenization of music, often the very strange stuff comes from some form of isolation be it cultural, geographical or more recently chronological, where almost forgotten instruments are being drawn back into underground music.

Having said that, it might befun to make an overly processed track and then pipe it out from the PC to some big amps and re-record it with cheap mics, crackly leads and an old fostex cassette 4 track. :wink:

PostPosted: March 10th, 2010, 2:37 am
new technology is just a tool and a new means of expressing ideas. The way people use them tools is what creates good results. It is possible to make music that sounds too clean, but even if you work purely in the software instrument world there are sill ways and means to rough it up :-)

It just requires people to learn their tools.

Steve

High Quality Professional Sound Libraries.
http://www.hauntedhouserecords.co.uk/SoundLibraries
Offline Profile E-mail WWW