<  TechPrime  ~  try as I might, software don't cut it.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2007, 10:20 pm
User avatarPosts: 3Location: AustinJoined: November 3rd, 2007, 4:05 am
I can't use software... I can't help it, I need pads, knobs and buttons to feel right. Perhaps it's a requirement, I need to feel what I'm doing.

I'm getting back into the swing of things, sold all my gear years ago and recently decided to start doing music again, so I tried Ableton, Reason, and a few others, but can't 'get it'...

Other than advice on getting over this hump, I'm wondering about hardware too, anyone strictly use one or the other?

I'm considering buying either a workstaion (Fantom or Triton?) or perhaps buying a cheap MM6 and trying to get my head around Ableton

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 11th, 2007, 10:29 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
There's no reason to keep pushing with software if it doesn't work for you, and don't make choices based on what others are doing or using .
Use what's most comfortable and productive. For me that happens to be software.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 11th, 2007, 3:46 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
I've used a Yamaha Motif 8 for the past five or so years, and it has always felt great...wonderful control, beautiful layout and sounds awesome. I'm considering selling off all of my hardware to go with an open labs system, but i'm still considering keeping my motif 8 just because of the things i've used it for in the past, and I don't think I'll come across another workstation like it...something different that may be just as good, but nothing quite like it in particular.

i have a korg triton rack as well - not so impressed with it personally, but I'm sure used in the right hands it could be amazing.

just sharing what i've experienced...

Offline Profile WWW YIM