<  Music  ~  Top 10 albums of 2005

PostPosted: January 16th, 2006, 4:45 pm
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
I figure we need a thread like this. What were the top 10 albums for you in 2005? I'm going to have to think about mine for a bit before posting.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 17th, 2006, 5:45 am
User avatarPosts: 15Location: Kiel/GermanyJoined: November 22nd, 2005, 4:27 am
Are they 10 top albums in 2005 :?:

Here are my Top 3
1.) Orion / Philip Glass
2.) Rosenrot / Rammstein
3.) Carbon Core / B

S

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: January 18th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
There was probably a lot of good stuff I missed out on, I really dug nww's echo poeme 2, the last coil cd wasn't too bad but sort of a let down....

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: January 20th, 2006, 2:53 am
Ya, I really didn't care much for it either. I guess they've been out of the studio for too long...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 20th, 2006, 6:54 am
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
cic wrote:
Ya, I really didn't care much for it either. I guess they've been out of the studio for too long...

I think it was just more of that they might not of had a lot to work with. but it just made me mad that they put inferior versions of songs that are already availible (amethyst deceiver,triple suns...)

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: January 24th, 2006, 7:36 pm
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
Here's some of my favorites from last year:

(in no particular order)

Sunn O))) - Black One
Meshuggah - Catch 33
Nordvargr - Vitagen
Birchville Cat Motel - Chi Vampires
Arvo Part - Lamentate
Sigur Ros - Takk...
Primordial - The Gathering Wilderness
Kammarheit - The Starwheel
Oceansize - Everyone Into Position
Rosetta - The Galilean Satelites

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 25th, 2006, 1:18 pm
I, for one, absolutely love The Ape of Naples. My only beef with it is the extended, repetative version of Amethyst Deceivers. Otherwise I love the truncated Triple Suns, especially with the additional horn section, and Fire of the Mind is one of the strongest opening tracks I've heard in a while, featuring some of Jhonn's most powerful vocals.

Check out Jon Whitney's 1997 interview with Coil on their site, brainwashed.com/coil in which Peter and Jhonn explain how they imagine the then-Nothing album was supposed to sound... then listen to tracks such as Tattooed Man, Fire of the Mind, Heaven's Blade, Amber Rain... very close.

I guess the problem with AON is that it's an album for the fanatics, IE those who own all the Live releases, demos and bootlegs, hence the drastically different renditions of tracks like It's In My Blood. At the moment I prefer the older version, At Your Own Risk, but in hindsight I initially disliked many of what were later to become my favorite Coil songs/albums (the case with AYOR).

Having said that, some of my favorite releases from last year included:

Coil - Ape of Naples
C93 - At Sunset Balck Ships Ate the Sky
Ildjarn - ... Is Dead
Nokturnal Mortum - Weltanschauung
Inade - Colliding Dimensions
Jesu
Sunn O))) - Black One
Khanate - Capture and Release

Some of my favorite concerts included

Irr.App.(Ext). w/ Steven Stapleton
All 3 of C93's performances in Toronto including all opening acts
Khanate
Meshuggah

That's about it... for now.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 27th, 2006, 11:13 am
A Silver Mt. Zion-Horses in the Sky
Boards of Canada- The Campfire Headphase
Dredg-Catch Without Arms
Meshuggah-Catch 33
Mew-And the Glass Handed Kites
Pelican-The fire in our throats will beckon the thaw
Porcupine Tree-Deadwing
Red Sparowes-At the Soundless Dawn
Sufjan Stevens-Illinoise

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 31st, 2008, 6:13 pm
I also absolutely adore The Ape of Naples. In fact you could say that I think it's their best album and by that definition easily 2005's best album, even if many of the songs are remixes of old ones but what remixes! It is the very definition of Coil's 'Moon Musick' aesthetic - mystical, haunting, boundary-pushing, beautiful, damn near existential and absurd, particularly in the lyrics and their delivery. Who else could end their album (and career) with a funereal cover version of a British comedy television program's theme tune that also works as a metaphor for ascending into heaven? On top of that it works as a wonderful but sad epitaph not only to John Balance but to the band in general. How I wish I could've seen them live. I'm glad Sleazy is carrying on in style though.

Dälek's Absence is another standout album from 2005. It's hip-hop so loud and urgent it becomes a wall of noise akin to many shoegaze and industrial bands. In fact think of them as a cross between Public Enemy, Einsturzende Neubauten and My Bloody Valentine. The intelligent and angry lyrics are spat out like a soapbox preacher in a fever dream, the beats are massive and everything else is just a wailing but beautiful noise. Everything about this album is heavy and relentless and comes highly recommended.

Offline Profile