<  DeepCore  ~  mystery space roar

PostPosted: January 8th, 2009, 6:44 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090107-aas-loud-cosmic-noise.html

think they just picked up someone listening to lustmord really loudly?

regardless, quite interesting to think about noises coming from the far reaches of space!

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: January 11th, 2009, 5:04 pm
A Lovecraftian entity awakening from slumber and realising that all of Earth is still not cowering at their existence?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 11th, 2009, 9:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 170Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
Sound waves from a black hole in the Perseus Cluster seem to be droning at a steady B- flat, 57 octaves below middle C -- so if my math is correct, all you'll need is a subwoofer capable of going flat to 3.2346625378210092094377614557743e-15Hz, and you'll be able to enjoy some fine sound on a lazy Sunday afternoon, assuming you're able to hang out for 10 million years for a single wave to go by...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 6:29 am
i hope thats not all it is...it needs to be something more exciting and interesting than some drones! if i want drones i'll go buy another la monte young lp.

all seriousness aside...nasa, last i read, had no explanation about what this sound actually is, as they said it registered six times louder than anything they had ever heard from space before. that is incredibly interesting...anytime nasa says "i don't know," i think is somewhat cool since everything these days has such a boring explanation attached to it!

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: January 12th, 2009, 8:30 pm
give it a little while, i'm sure they'll find something boring to say about it...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Posts: 8Location: MichiganJoined: March 13th, 2009, 10:18 am
Hi all. I tracked down an email for the researcher at NASA who intercepted that frequency. I found that he did not record it, though he did tell me how to investigate it myself.

I have my own interest in this for a project I am working on. However, since a few of you seem interested in the sound, would anyone be interested in searching as well? Maybe between a few of us we could manage to capture a worthwhile sound clip.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 7:10 pm
i am always extremely, deeply interested in these sorts of things...but how would us non-nasa, non-scientists go about recording something in or from space?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 16th, 2009, 8:22 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
...but how would us non-nasa, non-scientists go about recording something in or from space?

Perhaps it would depend on the kind of radiation you are trying to record... from what I understand, one can only interpret the activity in space with sound, because an actual reproduction would melt your face, or something.

A massive dish might help.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 5:32 am
as fun as face-melting exploration in sound sounds, i do believe i'll pass on that. a giant dish would be nice - but i haven't seen those for sale at wal-mart yet, nor do i believe i could afford one.

any other ideas?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 7:01 am
Hmm -- well, If you somehow manage to get an international request accepted for the silence of all terrestrial based EMR transmittions for like an hour, you might be able to catch some hiss of the ol' cosmos on a radio in a field possibly...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 11:36 am
so who do i call to set that up? i'll get on the ol' cell phone later today! after barry o'bama gets done drinkin' a pint with me!

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 17th, 2009, 8:14 pm
I don't know anything about dishes, but this is what I was sent regarding space roar:

"the signal is reasonably intense at frequencies below 100 MHz, if you tune a standard FM radio between stations, a fraction of the resulting static will originate from deep space.

We observed in a set of different microwave bands: 3.3 GHz, 8 GHz, 10 GHz,
30 GHz, and 90 GHz. Additional analysis of older radio surveys shows that
it persists down at least as low as 22 MHz, getting louder at lower frequencies.
It would make up a few percent of the total radio static at typical FM
frequencies of 80 to 110 MHz."

I just want to clarify, celestial bodies are emitting radio waves, not actual sound. The sound received will be a static noise. Apparently, this can be picked up by a radio. I'm hoping that maybe someone will know something about radios to tune into those lower frequencies he was talking about. To get a good recording out of this, it will help to find the loudest signal possible. If someone at least figures out a frequency worth tuning into, I can work on recording it. I'm sure it'll take some work.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 18th, 2009, 5:07 am
Quote:
I just want to clarify, celestial bodies are emitting radio waves, not actual sound.

right - i knew that part from school (one of the very, very few things I can remember at this point...probably because it had to do with sound in general), but just like you said...it is up to someone else to find out how to pick up those lower frequencies, that was my original question really....

how do we receieve and record? we obviously can't use a shure mic from a pawn shop and just shove it up in the air as high as we can, heh...

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 7:40 pm
Hah, that wasn't what I meant. I mean you can tune in with a radio to pick up the frequencies. I'll be talking to some sound people shortly, and doing some research. I don't know the answers yet, but I seem to get few hours of sleep a night as it is. That is why I was hoping someone might get interested in it and look as well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 10:46 pm
From what I understand, there are other forms of cosmic EM radiation whose streaming frequency can be recorded and "transcribed" into sound, detuned by a few hundred/thousand octaves to within the range of human hearing; in fact, that would be the only way with the cosmic background radiation we're referring to, I think, since it consists of microwaves (like mentioned above), albeit very weak ones.

I watched a doc. a while back, about these two astronomers who discovered the stuff back in the 60's with this big horn looking machine, and they played the sound it picked up, which I have to say, was not all that interesting.

Edit: I just found this; one of the discoverers making a presentation about the discovery and such, very recently, Jan. '09.

Offline Profile WWW