<  Deep Prime  ~  Cheers For the Inspiration, Plus a Question...

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 4:22 pm
Posts: 6Location: BurbankJoined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:55 pm
Back in 2001 I was working on my first feature film and was digging around through my own collection for mood music during writing and for temp music during editing, but found nothing approaching what I heard in my head. There were some Eno tracks that came close, but lacked something, and I made my way to Amazon and started looking at various forms of "ambient", and picked up two Lustmord albums, "The Place Where The Black Stars Hang" and "Lustmord Vs. Metal Beast".

These proved to have precisely the elements I was seeking for my film, plus I enjoyed listening to them greatly personally. Unfortunately, we didn't have the budget to allow me to hire the people I wanted for the score and sound design, and while the composer did a decent job on the film, I still prefer my temped version with Lustmord and others, but that's a hazard many directors face.

Now, my film work is not the important thing here (although it is how I make a living), but rather fact that it introduced my to some musical forms with which I was previously unfamiliar and that have brought me much enjoyment over the years. Plus, it has brought me something else...

Prior to my entry into the film industry, I was a musician back in the 1980s, playing punk/poppy/rock stuff and engineered and recorded demos for the band at home, but had stopped writing and recording music at all after about 1996. Partially due to the constraints of time, partially due to a lack of interest in those forms of music.

Last year I had some down time and suddenly became inspired to begin working with music again, and much to my surprise threw together six tracks of industrial/ambient/whatever with which I was quite pleased, derivative though some of it is. This month, I started working on another and have either gotten much better at it, or have become seriously deluded and have produced three very long tracks that I think are quite strong, and less derivative and rhythmic based than the first.

This leads to my question; What kind of market exists for this material today? While I absolutely enjoy doing this purely for myself and as a more artistic outlet than what commercial filmmaking allows, I do see some commerical potential, however limited. Unfortunately, I have no way to gauge the quality of the material, not knowing anyone in the music business any longer nor having any friends/associates who care for this form of music. Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks once again for all of your work over the years.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 5:55 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Thanks for the comments.

I can't comment on the quality or potential of your music having not heard it.

There is an audience for all kinds of music out there but unfortunately it's very difficult to make enough income to make t worth the effort with the current situation of illegal downloading.

See this blog my friend Dean posted today.

And as for your movie, how did you know I wouldn't have worked on it without asking ?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 6:10 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I note that the blog I linked too is set to friends only.

Here's the content:

Something for Nothing.
For some time now a very talented young musician friend Irezumi has had his debut release made available illegally by filesharers, mostly in Russia or Eastern European countries.

This friend is not rich. Like most underground independent musicians he also has to work to feed himself and pay his rent.
He works night shift in a factory. A soul destroying job yet he makes beautiful & inspiring music. It took him 3 years to make his debut: "Endurance" Released on Snowblood records as their first release.

“Enduranceâ€Â

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 6:45 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
sad - someone that creates real, beautiful music is being forced out while something like disney's the jonas bros can continue to get booked on every tv show, get awards and paid millions.

i guess this goes to show...don't make art for art's sake. make a boy or girl pop band and send your demos to disney, right away.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 6:50 pm
Thanks for the responses. There were other factors involved on that first film, including a producer who had very set ideas and people with whom he insisted on working, so the choices for some personnel were out of my control both for creative and (from his perspective) financial reasons. Otherwise, I am quite sure I would have at least approached you about it. This same producer turned down Marco Beltrami back in the late 1990s, and more recently Michael Giacchino (who I wanted for another film, based on his work on some games), and both have quite huge careers now as composers. :lol: I hate this business at times...

As for making a living and the problems with illegal downloading, I have been affected by this as well, given that within a couple of hours after any of my films appear on DVD or are aired on cable they are available as torrents. This didn't affect me too much financially in the past, as my deal didn't include points on DVD sales, but now that I am producing my own work, I've certainly felt the effects to some degree.

I'm not looking to switch careers, but have really enjoyed doing this music as another more personal creative outlet, and was just thinking it might be nice to make a little money from my efforts if possible. Plus, it would be nice to know that others might enjoy the work as much as I do. Or not. :lol:

No promises, but we are currently trying to secure financing for a new project that is not specific to the cable networks we work with, and it is another project for which I think your talents would be suitable and very helpful. If it all comes together, I'll let you know since not only would it benefit the picture, but would be an experience I would personally enjoy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 6:54 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
sad - someone that creates real, beautiful music is being forced out while something like disney's the jonas bros can continue to get booked on every tv show, get awards and paid millions.

i guess this goes to show...don't make art for art's sake. make a boy or girl pop band and send your demos to disney, right away.
There seems to be something of a "culture of entitlement" among many people at the moment (generational or not, I won't speculate) who believe they are owed entertainment for free. It drives me up the wall, and has prompted many serious arguments between myself and others. It's detrimental to the state of art, and has an impact on even the most financially successful artists, but especially on those who don't sell millions.

Offline Profile