<  DeepCore  ~  HD audio

PostPosted: January 11th, 2009, 4:00 am
User avatarPosts: 170Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
B, are you at all concerned with extracting DolbyD+/TrueHD or DTS HD audio streams from Blurays over your PS3, and if so, how do you do it? From what I understand, the SunIII you own does not process either codec, or have an HDMI pass-through?

Anyone else here with compatible equipment find either codec a huge leap forward from their lesser "core" streams?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 11th, 2009, 11:22 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I hope to invest in a processor that will accept full bandwidth audio over HDMI 1.3 as soon as funds allow.

A couple of processors I am interested in have had their release schedule pushed back due to the economy and I'm not aware of any new processors being announced at CES so I'm not sure which I'd go for if I had the funds now anyway.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 9:56 pm
Do you have a preference for high sample/bit rates for listening to music, such as SACD format when available, or do you find regular CD 44.1/16 sufficient? Where do you draw the line with too low sound quality?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2009, 10:21 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I just like the best possible, and that's dependent on the source material. If the source recording is low fidelity significantly upscaling the sample & bit rate isn't going to do much.

I draw the line at mp3 and am still bemused that others chose it as an option.

Last edited by B on March 10th, 2009, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 24th, 2009, 12:54 am
When NIN released their free album, The Slip, they provided a few different versions of it (all of which I downloaded), including one at 96/24 Wave. There is one instrumental (pretty much the only good track on the album, in my opinion) titled, The Four of Us are Dying, and it's very interesting to A/B the 96/24 Wave version, with the 44.1/16 Flac version.

I am almost sure -- actually, very sure that I can detect a thicker/denser sound with a quicker transient in the 96/24 version. Am I delusional?

Have you ever considered releasing Hi-Fi versions of your material, perhaps non-commercially as a download -- with direct payment through paypal or something -- for those willing participants? :D

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 10th, 2009, 1:12 am

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 10th, 2009, 5:06 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
i read that exact story the other day as well - found it to be no surprise really. if you think about it...these kids are listening to trash anyways. pop music is at its worst level it has ever been, i believe. so of course they don't care about audio quality, they don't even care about the quality of music.

i mean shit - look at kanye west. he believes he is the new version of the beatles, god's gift to music he is quoted as calling himself. his music are his poor, hideous attempts at singing, a flemsy drumbeat and a little synth here and there....and that is the same as what the beatles did? i don't even like the beatles, at all, but if the nation's top seller looks at himself that way...and the kids keep buying his trash...you can only imagine how much worse it will become.

and of course the whole loudness wars issue i am sure helps to destroy the quality of music kids listen to constantly as well. popular music to me in general has taken a total shit-turn for the absolute worst, from which it will never recover. i am settled in indie music, DIY music. thats what i do myself, thats what i appreciate and whats what i seek out - so for me, nothing changes...but i do feel sad for those that don't know any better or just won't take the time to find something better.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 20th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 5:27 am
walking barcode wrote:

while interesting, wouldn't a .flac still be better?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 11:06 am
Yeah probably, I know I'm sticking with my flacs...just thought I'd share the info.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 11:27 am
Presumably the fact that FLAC doesn't allow streaming is an issue as far as applications requiring such features are concerned.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 21st, 2009, 1:27 pm
where can streaming become an issue? online radio I presume...but any other instances?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
Anyone seriously considering looking at hi-rez audio in their system should take a peek at Ayre Acoustics QB-9 DAC. It's one of the best sounding converters i've ever heard, and a new benchmark for hi rez with inhumanly low jitter. No, i don't work for them, just a heads up for those interested. It's a relative bargain if you can afford it (about $2500 bucks, seriously cheap for what it does).

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 11:56 pm
User avatarPosts: 32Location: WalesJoined: April 23rd, 2007, 4:46 am
The number of people that consider the noise coming out of their mobiles as music depresses me.

my grandaughter (9) loves music (in a 9 year old way), but she is growing up listening to mobile sounds........

PostPosted: June 10th, 2010, 2:52 pm
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
I know how you feel... i mean sure, "it's all about the music" or however people put it, but i don't know anyone yet who doesn't find it a lot more rewarding to squeeze out some extra fidelity when they listen. I think a lot of younger people really might not even know what that sounds like anymore. Ignorance is bliss, i guess? I'm not so sure...

Offline Profile WWW