<  DeepCore  ~  How do you listen to Lustmord?

PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 9:50 am
Posts: 3Location: United StatesJoined: February 24th, 2008, 9:35 am
Bose "Quiet Comfort" Headphones, $139.99
Apple iPod Classic 160GB, $309.98
Lustmord Albums, $49.99

Laying in a dark room listening to ambient bass drones...

PRICELESS

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 11:52 am
User avatarPosts: 170Location: GAJoined: December 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm
in here

But seriously, I wonder if something more extravagant exists. I wonder if there's even a benefit to something more extravagant.

I think the most I’d ask for is a system with a flat, low frequency response in an acoustically compatible environment. I’m curious to hear what I’m missing.

Currently, my stock automobile speakers with have to do. Embarrassing.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 14th, 2008, 2:06 pm
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
That would be at home with
speakers: Ino Audio - piP (flat from 34Hz up to 20000)
amplifier: Korsun - KS99

I sure plan to add some subwoofers to this set up, two as a matter of fact. I have no idea when this will happen. Right now I'm choosing between one with a flat frequency response from 17Hz and one from 23Hz. The latter is optomized for my speakers so it will probably be it, but those extra infra frequencies would sure be nice to have ;)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 14th, 2008, 4:29 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Note that a true subwoofer should by definition have a response BELLOW 20 Hz. Anything that does not go bellow that isn't a subwoofer. Most "subwoofers" are nothing of the sort and are only marketed as such.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 15th, 2008, 12:12 am
Thanks for the response B, I really appreciate it!

I am aware of that a lot of manufacturers work the specs to their liking and even lie about them, but I trust this manufacturer a whole lot (more than I trust most people). Maybe there are disagreements on the terminology of course, nothing can be done about that. As long as the specifications are honest I'm ok with it.

He recommends that you get no less than two of the bass modules (as he calls them, and refuses to sell you anything less actually), but recommends four. This to lower distortion and smooth out troubles with the listening room. I truely trust his specs and he has systems working from 5Hz and up (if the room can handle it). Scary stuff. I can't spend that amount of money though.

The modell I'm looking at has a frequency response at 27-200Hz (-3db @ 24). Highest sound pressure level at >24Hz is >117dB continously in room. Maybe you shouldn't call that subwoofer then, but hopefully it will fit my needs (and room). I would die to have the bigger systems, but my wallet and girlfriend won't agree with me putting in bigger boxes than these. I haven't listened to it yet, but plan to do so in the coming month. If it isn't enough for my needs, when then I guess I HAVE to get this one:

The slightly bigger one is specced at 19-200Hz (-3db @ 17Hz). Highest soundpressure level at >18Hz is 120dB continously in room. All specs are for a pair of course, not one working solo, as they are sold as pairs.

I''ve heard four of these working and it was a mindblowing experience. Not until I had heard real true deep base do I knew what it was about. My friends all seem to really love a raise of the frequency response around 50-80Hz and call that deep base. I disagree. I want to hear the room b r e a t h e.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 20th, 2008, 10:40 am
5Hz?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 20th, 2008, 10:46 pm
walking barcode wrote:
5Hz?

Yes. But that is a system with at least 6 modules I believe. I know it sounds unrealistic to many though.

But let's keep it on topic instead. How do you listen to Lustmord?

Edit: Sorry, noticed you had already contributed to the thread.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 11:56 am
User avatarPosts: 9Location: SwedenJoined: October 17th, 2008, 7:06 am
I listen to Lustmord on my speakers ........ :roll: :D

http://www.myspace.com/valacmusic
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 11:07 pm
Posts: 11Location: los angelesJoined: May 23rd, 2008, 8:16 am
I listen to Lustmord mostly with headphones, when I'm working. That's the best and purest sound experience for me. Ironically, I do cartoons.....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 8:24 am
User avatarPosts: 9Location: SwedenJoined: October 17th, 2008, 7:06 am
atyss wrote:
I listen to Lustmord mostly with headphones, when I'm working. That's the best and purest sound experience for me. Ironically, I do cartoons.....

Hehehehe

http://www.myspace.com/valacmusic
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: October 31st, 2008, 11:08 am
User avatarPosts: 76Location: SwedenJoined: October 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
I don't have access to great headphones nor speakers, unfortunately... But for me, a dark room and Sennheiser CX300 in-ear headphones does the trick very neatly. Besides, for me, the emphasis always lies on mood and setting. When the two mentioned factors are right, those headphones are well sufficent to make the music submerge me and take me to dimensionless worlds.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 5th, 2008, 2:01 pm
A while back I posted about my coming subs. Now here they are, finally playing. I picked a bigger model than I first planned, SPL 120dB at 18Hz. -3dB @ 17Hz (this is for two boxes, but that is how they come). Those are the tech specs, but what the result is in my room with room response and everything is still unknown.

Ino Audio profundusX-2 (the other corner looks just like this as well):

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2009, 4:00 pm
Apparently, with this sorta music, my new fancy pants headphone setup doesn't quite cut it. Perhaps if I was able to EQ the phones (damn peaks all over, around 3000, 7400, etc) in a way that mimicked a monitor's flat response, but still, not much could be done about the lack of sub frequencies...just the nature of headphones i guess.

Ah well, IMO, the sounds are better suited for driving anyways... just stick to car listening...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 4:53 am
User avatarPosts: 76Location: SwedenJoined: October 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
Maybe I'm missing something here, but how come that most headphones I read about reach lower infrasound frequencies than subwoofers? The low end is generally listed as 15 Hz or lower, even 5 Hz on the ones I have. And yet people keep talking about hugely expensive subwoofers with a low end of 17-20 Hz. Is it easier for headphones to reach deep frequencies, or do the subwoofers have different specifications that improves the sound in general, thus being able to produce better sounding infrasound even if the low end is higher than in headphones?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 4th, 2009, 5:49 am
Headphone manufacturers don't tell you if the frequency response is -20 dB at 10 Hz or if it is within +/- 1.5 dB. The numbers are most often hugely exaggerated and headphone manufacturers lie more than others inmo. A big factor when experiencing true deep bass is tactile, the bass you feel with your body. Especially if we are talking infra frequencies. Headphones can't give you that experience anywhere near one from a good quality speaker system.

Offline Profile