<  Music  ~  christian fennesz

PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 4:20 pm
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
anyone here listen to fennesz and his guitar-led ambient/glitch type work?

B, i know you've said in the past you don't listen to much that people would typically compare to your own work, BUT I'm curious if you've ever given his work a listen and/or considered working together?

he is quite amazing at what he does. there are tons out there that use lots of studio effects and clipping type glitch nonsense to make music out of, but no one does quite what he does...he actually makes everything flow together, which is rather impressive.

His newest, Black Sea, was really enjoyable. I have yet to give Endless Summer a listen, but it tends to pop up as his most reccomended album, from what I've read at least.

Anyone have any other albums of his that are interesting? I see in his discography that he has a lot of non-studio albums (live, EPs, collaborations and etc.)....I haven't given everything of his a listen, so I'm curious what others might enjoy of his and suggest for me...

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 4:47 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I'm vaguely aware of the name but haven't knowingly heard any of his work.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 5:05 am
Not that you need any reccomendations from any of us BUT if you do find yourself with a chance to listen, you really should give some of his work your ear. I've also read he is quite professional at what he does. He did an interview recently with Pitchfork (not unlike yourself!) that was somewhat insightful into how he records and so on.

it can be read here http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/7593-fennesz/, if anyone is interested.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 3:22 pm
Posts: 167Location: EnglandJoined: December 30th, 2006, 11:44 am
Love his work, especially the latest album.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 3:50 pm
User avatarPosts: 76Location: SwedenJoined: October 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
He's great. I love glitches in pretty much every musical context, and the way he blends them with atmospheric ambient is unique and wonderful. Endless Summer and Venice are both great albums, really ought to listen to them more. I've yet to listen to Black Sea, though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 1:11 am
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
I've been a huge fan since Endless Summer which came out in 2001. Aaw, that
legendary Austrian label Mego, how I loved them (and still do).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 6:29 am
Well Shifts - maybe you can help me then. I know Florian Hecker is on Mego, and I've read quite a bit lately that refers to him or his music, but I have yet to really listen. I listened to his newest release, Acid in the Style of David Tudor, but it was terrible in my opinion. Do you have any other suggestions for listening to his work? Is any of his stuff in the same vein as Fennesz?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 7:04 am
Nah, he is mostly about that chaotic and non-structured digital assualt style. Haven't
heard the new album yet, but my bet is that it fits that description. I'm not really a fan
of his, even though I enjoy his classic track from the 2003 album Sun Pandämonium:
Stocha Acid Zlook.

If you want Fennesz, but more noise, check out Pita. He is somewhere in between
Hecker and Fennesz. He has a great album out under his own name, Peter Rehberg, on
his label Edition Mego: Work For GV 2004-2008

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 12:11 pm
Rehberg is the other half of KTL, if I'm not mistaken, right? I know he runs Editions Mego now after Mego collapsed. I can't say I'm a huge fan of KTL though, it bores me.

I just don't think everything Stephen O'Malley touches is listenable, at all - quite the opposite to my ears. I absolutely love Earth, especially the last few albums, but I've never really seen a direct link to Sunn 0))) - other than they say they originally based their band on being an Earth tribute/cover band...but how does Sunn sound like Earth?

A bit off topic, but regardless - all family related to fennesz since all these people either work together on projects, labels or performances past and future.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 2:07 pm
Err, have you ever heard Earth 2??

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 3:20 am
shipwreckage wrote:
Rehberg is the other half of KTL, if I'm not mistaken, right? I know he runs Editions Mego now after Mego collapsed. I can't say I'm a huge fan of KTL though, it bores me.

Yupp, you got it all right, even down to that last sentence.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 8:35 am
Oceanic - I'll admit, I have not heard Earth 2 - that was their first real release, right? I know its suppose to be the low end guitar droning...which typically bores me, so I guess thats why I've not sought them out. I guess it would be a totally opposite sound of what I know Earth to be. I LOVE their last three (Hex, Hibernaculum, & Bees Made Honey) - so to me thats what Earth sounds like. I have heard their Sunn Amps & Smashed Guitars album, and did not care much for it either - so I guess in summary I just don't like or listen to the '90s Earth, but love the current Earth, heh.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 10:06 am
Yeah, I prefer the modern incarnation of Earth, too. My point was, Sunn's whole shtick was taken from Earth 2, which they freely admit to. Having said that, I think you'll be very surprised by Sunn's new album, which uses all sorts of instrumentation - it seems to have more in common with Stars of the lid than any doom, from the reviews I've read so far.

On a side note, HEX is one of the few albums released recently which will surely be deemed a classic in future years, imo.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 1:48 pm
The new Sunn album - is it out yet? I wasn't aware they had a new one up and out...not that I follow them extremely close anyways. But I would be quite interested in taking a listen if you are suggesting its more interesting than guitar drones found on their other releases...

And yes, I would have to completely agree. Hex will become a total classic, and I'm sure a reference point for thousands of other musicians in the future. It is a beautiful piece of work. I would venture to say also though that Bees Made Honey is the same way...

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 3:09 pm
User avatarPosts: 76Location: SwedenJoined: October 31st, 2008, 10:57 am
Personally, I prefer The Bees Made Honey. It strikes me as the final destination of the path they started exploring with HEX. Well-written, well-produced, and totally complete in all of its simplicity. Wonderful album. Their gig in Stockholm a month or so ago was a highly memorable one indeed.

Of course, Earth 2 is also an everlasting classic.

Offline Profile