<  DeepCore  ~  first half of '09 done and gone

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2009, 11:27 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
anyone found anything thats been released this year so far that they find just amazing? i know we did the top ten/twenty or whatever it was of '08 and all of us listed off some interesting stuff, so i was just thinking about what might have already come out this year some of us might have missed that others know about...

As for what I've been listening to a lot this year from this year...

- Fever Ray - Self Titled
- French Teen Idol - El Siete Es La Luz (FUCKING AMAZING!)
- Johann Johannsson - and in the endless pause there came the sound of bees
- Gregg Kowalsky - Tape Chants
- Telefon Tel Aviv - Immolate Yourself (constantly replayed over and over!)

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 11:18 am
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
Well, I actuallt have Fever Ray and the soundtrack from Johann on my list as well.
Adding:

Atom TM - Liedgut
Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions

Thomas Köner is coming out with new material later this year on Glacial Movements.
I'm also very curious about the album by Sylvain Chauveau and Steven Hess, reworked
by Deathprod. Just released on Type. Deathprod is never dull.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 25th, 2009, 5:39 am
User avatarPosts: 23Location: EuropeJoined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:41 pm
I was lucky enough to see johann live in manchester uk this year, i really enjoyed his IBM1401 record.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 12:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 2Location: DallasJoined: June 21st, 2009, 7:23 pm
Alva Noto _ Xerrox Vol. 2
Herz Jühning - Miasma
SoiSong - xaJ3z

These three wipe the floor of pretty much every other new release thus far this year. Saying so far as Skinny Puppy, Covenant, and Architect all have releases due to be out soon.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 1:08 pm
so far this year my favorite release is: proudpilot "monsters exist" it's massive!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 1:48 pm
Posts: 167Location: EnglandJoined: December 30th, 2006, 11:44 am
Good new albums by: Aluk Todolo, Steve Roach, Inade, Nadja, Hyatari.. etc etc

Aren't Covenant some dodgy EBM, electropop drivel?!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 6:41 am
nadja huh? i haven't heard the newest album out - last i saw out was some sort of collection of rare or remakes or something like that...

i just cannot find my way into liking nadja. i like baker's personal stuff, but the band thing just does not ever interest me at all.

the newest release any different than the last five or so?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 7:38 am
If you don't like metalgaze type stuff, you probably won't dig it. To me, it's the logical extension to MBV's sound, but much denser and drawn out (in other words, fucking great). His solo stuff is good, but Nadja is his best, most interesting work. Nobody sounds like them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 12:17 pm
see to me jesu sounds like what nadja wishes it could be...i know i'll get shit for that, but thats just how i've viewed them.

again, i think baker's personal work is really good sometimes - not in the same realm as work in the similar category from, say, campbell kneale as birchville cat motel or our love will destroy the world...but still very listenable.

nadja, to me, actually suffers from the problem of putting out too much too often. that doesn't effect everyone - there are quite a few out there that put out material constantly, and its usually always good...and then others seem to have a good release every 8 to ten albums, and thats how i nadja is to me.

just a personal view....not trying to convince anyone. i was just curious if the newest nadja release was any better or one of the best or same ol' same ol'.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 12:22 pm
another great album i've found this year...

steve kilbey & martin kennedy - unseen music, unheard words

i wasn't expecting much, as most '80s pop singers that make comebacks usually suck (with the exception of david sylvian, of course)...but i was really surprised. kilbey's voice really sounds great, and the music is a fresh sound for him i think. really glad i gave it a chance. its tough to not hit repeat several times honestly with this one.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 3:10 pm
shipwreckage wrote:
just a personal view....not trying to convince anyone. i was just curious if the newest nadja release was any better or one of the best or same ol' same ol'.

which release? the covers cd (when i see the sun...)? if so its good but like the original stuff better. they have so much stuff out i not really sure what the newest is? :D

i am a fan of nadja. the older jesu is way better than the new stuff! but godflesh was the best.

have you guys heard transitional? their second release is due to come out in sept. its along the same line of nadja and jesu.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 11:23 pm
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
The only album from Nadja I've truely come to appreciate is Truth Becomes Death. The
rest I've listened out just sounds... flat. Aidan Bakers personal recordings are even
worse in that regard. Well, at least the few I've heard. He pumps out releases like there was no tomorrow. The only ones putting out more music must be Merzbow and Machinefabriek.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 3:32 am
If you can listen to Touched all the way through and find it flat, hmm. As for Jesu, ever since their great self titled album, it's been a rapid downward spiral in to shittness. The Angelic Process were everything Jesu wanted to be RIP.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: August 7th, 2009, 2:56 pm
found another this past week that i cannot stop listening to, and i think it'll be that way for awhile...this one is extremely enjoyable and relaxing guitar

robin guthrie - angel falls

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: August 8th, 2009, 6:36 pm
Posts: 8Location: Las Vegas, NVJoined: August 8th, 2009, 1:30 pm
My favorite so far has been Monoliths and Dimensions by Sunn 0))). Black Cascade by Wolves in the Throne Room is also a close runner up.

Offline Profile WWW