<  Music  ~  Kraftwerk remasters

PostPosted: October 24th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Posts: 12Location: WalesJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 10:58 am
I've just got hold of (most of) the new Kraftwerk remasters and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the remastering (it goes without saying that the music is matchless).

Initial reactions are that they sound generally pretty good, with much improved bass end compared to the previous CDs - very punchy sound. There's obviously some limiting boosting the overall volume, but it's a lot more subtly done than a lot of remastered CDs you get these days. Only heard them once each so far, but my first impression was that some passages seem to have less airiness than on the original vinyl pressings, but maybe I was just listening to hard....

My only real criticism would be the strange decision with 'Techno Pop' (previously known as 'Electric Cafe') to replace the full length album version of 'The Telephone Call' with the single edit and the remix 'House Phone'. The second half of this album was always Kraftwerk's weakest moment, but this change does nothing at all to improve it...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 24th, 2009, 6:27 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
I've yet to pick any of them up but I have heard a little of Man Machine and Radioactivity and was impressed by the mastering. A worthwhile improvement, much cleaner and "warmer".

I've always considered Electric Cafe to be their one weak album. As you probably know they had started on the album earlier but scraped the recordings and invested in a Synclavier to start again. The result just doesn't have that Kraftwerk warmth and I'm glad hey ditched the Synclavier shortly aftewardsr.
The demo versions of Techno Bop are much better than what ended up as Electric Cafe.

I'll be buying the remasters real soon.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: October 25th, 2009, 5:20 am
User avatarPosts: 30Location: BelgiumJoined: March 31st, 2009, 11:09 am
You can buy them separatly or in the "Catalogue" box set...just beware there are English sung and German sung versions...I've got the German version on order.

BTW...talking about krautrock...there is a nice re-master of Harmonia's third record available now , featuring Roedelius, Moebius, Rother and Eno:

Harmonia & Eno '76
Tracks and Traces reissue

CDGRON102 on the Grönland label

Different school of German Music, but the Klaus Schulze's La Vie Electronique series of CD's is quite the historic document. I have kind of a love hate relationship with his music...but this guy was so far ahead of his time its jawdropping...I've always felt he never got the recognition he deserves from the current breed of techno (and all its tangent offshoots) artist.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 5:06 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
I've began to go back and buy the original vinyl pressings of just about everyone thats spoken of on this thread - kraftwerk, klaus schulze, eno, harmonia, (looking for cluster) and a nearly complete set of classic tangerine dream (i stop at about 1985/6). anyways - i LOVE the classic sound, love the vintage feeling of limitations on the original recordings.

has anyone picked up these new remastered albums on vinyl? I saw the harmonia on vinyl, an eno remaster of "after the heat" on vinyl, and of course the kraftwerk remasters. Are they actually vastly improved there also? they are quite expensive...didn't want to invest unless i knew they were top quality!

also - is that kraftwerk catalog set worth getting? anything bonus in it for buying the full set?

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: October 27th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Posts: 12Location: WalesJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 10:58 am
well the Kraftwerk remasters haven't come out on vinyl yet, although I think they're due in about a month's time.
I can't imagine they're going to be an improvement on the originals, which sound about as good as you can get already... but if you haven't got original vinyl copies, then I'm sure they're worth it...

the new Harmonia and Eno LP sounds great on vinyl, as does "After the Heat" so... yes, go out and buy them if you don't already have them...

btw... you stop with Tangerine Dream at 1985/6?!?! - how come it took you 12/13 years to notice they'd lost it?

nothing bonus in the Kraftwerk set... which I think is a good thing really... you can't add to perfection

Offline Profile
PostPosted: October 28th, 2009, 5:12 am
Posts: 219Location: TexasJoined: April 30th, 2006, 9:26 am
headgrocer wrote:
btw... you stop with Tangerine Dream at 1985/6?!?! - how come it took you 12/13 years to notice they'd lost it?

well i say that because of Green Desert. I know it was recorded originally before Phaedra, BUT it didn't get released till '86, and its a great record. Plus you have the live release, Poland, in '84 and that sounds pretty good. and don't forget the soundtrack to Legend in '86, which is cheesy to some but I enjoy it on vinyl. But I do see what you're saying. Nothing can beat their OHR releases, and into their first 4 to 7 releases on Virgin. To me though - Zeit is the ultimate.

headgrocer wrote:
nothing bonus in the Kraftwerk set... which I think is a good thing really... you can't add to perfection

I agree - thats why I still believe "The Mix" is their worst release. Some of the remixes are okay, but why in the hell did they mess with perfection in the first place? the damn 90s was a terrible time for classic dance music I think...it made everyone go crazy a bit.

Offline Profile WWW YIM