<  DeepPulse  ~  Disgusted

PostPosted: November 6th, 2009, 8:22 am
I'm curious to know what a fan, who opposes this type of file sharing, can do to help in any way.

I'm not all that techincally savvy when it comes to things like this, but are you able to contact what ever web site is hosting the file and have it removed? Can we contact them as well, to inform them of what it is they're doing? Would they even care?

Do you have any legal steps you can take? Are you able to identify and go after those people that downloaded the album illegally? There must be some way of finding out who was involved, no?

Or is it all just red tape and legal nightmares...or issues of privacy?

Really just a crappy situation.

Ultimately, if there's anything you can think of that I, or anyone else as concerned or pissed off about this, can do to help out...that would be great to know.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 2:07 am
Posts: 7Location: Moscow, RussiaJoined: December 6th, 2005, 5:34 am
btw, being in russia automatically cuts people off proper itunes, because there's different store for russia which has no proper rmusic, just silly pop mainstream. so if i'd like to buy anything from lustmord there, i'll be kicked off american itunes to silly russian annex which has nothing proper to offer...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 1:26 pm
Posts: 9Location: SwedenJoined: November 23rd, 2009, 1:20 pm
I can honestly say that I have downloaded a whole bunch of albums, but those I've liked - I've bought. And I've deleted the ones I haven't liked, or thought weren't worth my money.

Ever since I started illegally downloading music (it actually wasn't a crime in Sweden until 05 or 06) I've actually bought more than before.

There are artists I support pretty much whatever they release, then there are those who I listen to before I buy.

The problem, I think, is that most people see the music industry as only the major labels/artists, and not "underground" artists like yourself, B.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 1:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 41Location: Currently playing in the sandbox that is ArizonaJoined: May 19th, 2006, 10:54 am
Hey B! Good to see you still creatively kicking out there!!

As a caveat to all of this, I recently came home from one reserve tour and two simultaneous tours as a contractor, hence why I've vanished off the face of the earth for awhile. At any rate, while I was at Bagram for R&R a year back, I came across a very quaint music house (in all honesty, it was a shack) ran by a very old man whose name alludes me at this moment. His son, whom went by the name of Houshmand, was a big fan of ambiance and as a result, this small shack was riddled with some wonderful and hard-to-find albums; the least of which was an original printing of The Place Where the Black Stars Hang. This kid had an excellent knowledge of your work, and Akira Yamaoka, of which I was almost at awe over. I probably spent over 200 dollars replenishing my stock of cd's, after a rupture in the waterline from a mortar attack in Sheberghan ruined pretty much everything I owned digital-wise.

I know that this doesn't make up for loss of monetary support, but the point is that your music has touched parts of the world unfathomable. Whilst I have been unable to purchase any of your music (or anything else for that matter) in three years (given; A. It was against policy for me to receive any mail appertaining to official business and B. Lack of a NIPRNET connection for two years in the many ditches I was in), I will NEVER have the ability to reach someone else's life in the way you've done. That alone, is an accomplishment outmatched by the many headaches associated with the music business. I know this is not a charity, and it shouldn't be. But there are true fans out there, we do love what you do, and we'll never be pirates.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 2:10 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Thanks Spades, and glad you came back safe.

I've had a few correspondences with people serving in Iraq and Afghanistan in the last few years, with some amusing reports of situations my music was playing in.

Don't get me wrong, I really do get that there are people who like what I do, and I'm humbled by it.
The original post was my venting as I struggle to keep doing this.
It's since gotten worse as seen from looking at he last two releases and I can't see it getting better.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 20th, 2009, 8:57 pm
Posts: 11Location: los angelesJoined: May 23rd, 2008, 8:16 am
B wrote:
The original post was my venting as I struggle to keep doing this.
It's since gotten worse as seen from looking at he last two releases and I can't see it getting better.

Wow, I just visited the forum for the first time in over a month and what I've read is just disturbing.

I'm generally reasonable in my forum posting ethics but this time I'll make an exception. B, that last comment of yours fucking pisses me off. Not you of course, but what you're saying about your situation, "struggling to keep doing this" and "it gotten worse" really makes me angry. I proudly paid for all of your albums and hearing from you, a man of your talent, that you're struggling, dude I'm livid.

I don't have anything particularly useful to say, so I'll just keep it simple: I really hope you find a way to make a decent -no, wealthy- living out of your personal work, and if you ever decide to stop, it's going to be terrible. However, I do understand we all have bills to pay and ultimately this has the upper hand. I've been there before, so I know how it is.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, I sincerely hope that 2010 will bring plenty of wealth so you can keep doing what we're all here for: your thing.

Bernard

Offline Profile