<  Deep Prime  ~  Recommendations?

PostPosted: December 26th, 2009, 11:52 am
User avatarPosts: 12Location: DenmarkJoined: December 26th, 2009, 11:01 am
Hello there, my name's Marc and I'm quite the newcomer to the world of Lustmord.
I've been a fan of ambient, drone and such for some time now and I've always heard about Lustmord being the undisputed king of dark ambient and frightening atmospheres. Having listened to some pieces at Youtube, I've had a taste (even if this was very limited due to the large compression) and I want more, but I'm not sure where to start off. I've heard that an essential record is B's work with Robert Rich, "Stalker". I'd like to say I'm a pretty open-minded person when it comes to music, so I'll be ready to get almost anything to cure my curiosity.
I've also seen that both Aaron Turner and Adam Jones appear on some records, I love those guys. Is that [ O T H E R ] or...?

Either ways, I'd appreciate any recommendations. I should mention that I like the works of such artists as Bass Communion, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Aidan Baker/Nadja, Kraftwerk and others, just something 'similar' to B's music, something similar I could crack open and afterwards move deeper down into the Lustmord world.

Thank you,

Marc.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 26th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Welcome Marc

Well personally I don't think it really matters where you start.

I'm new to Lustmord and to "dark ambient" as well; just going on a year now. Never hearing either before it was suggested to me that I start with Rising, as it would be a good base for me to determining if I like it/hate it. Being that it has been determined that you like it, that point is mute.

Though my Lustmord albums number more than any other music group I have (or their other incarnations combined), my collection only contains from Rising up to the present, as I've had some difficulty in keeping up with all his new releases. 4 in just the last year! I'm still working my way back so I know nothing of Stalker...yet.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 5:42 am
Em wrote:
Welcome Marc

Well personally I don't think it really matters where you start.

I'm new to Lustmord and to "dark ambient" as well; just going on a year now. Never hearing either before it was suggested to me that I start with Rising, as it would be a good base for me to determining if I like it/hate it. Being that it has been determined that you like it, that point is mute.

Ah, so it's a Zappa-like situation; you can start anywhere? Haha. Though with Zappa, the hardcore fans usually say that everything's essential. Just one of the reasons why I've had a hard time getting into Zappa. Anyways... As of now I'm pretty sure that I'd like to go with "O T H E R" first off, just out of interest because of Aaron Turner and Adam Jones' involvement. And then I'll pretty much just get what I can get my greedy fingers on.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 4:49 pm
Marc wrote:
Anyways... As of now I'm pretty sure that I'd like to go with "O T H E R" first off, just out of interest because of Aaron Turner and Adam Jones' involvement. And then I'll pretty much just get what I can get my greedy fingers on.

Hummm I don't know your band Zappa enough to imitate them, nor would I try...
but it appears that you've answered your own question. :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 9:01 pm
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
Welcome to the forums!

A few other artists I really enjoy for about the same reasons as I enjoy Lustmord, they
are good at what they do, are: Thomas Köner, Jonathan Coleclough and BJ Nilsen.

The first Lustmord record I got was Where the black stars... so that will be my suggestion here.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 3:33 am
Shifts wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

A few other artists I really enjoy for about the same reasons as I enjoy Lustmord, they
are good at what they do, are: Thomas Köner, Jonathan Coleclough and BJ Nilsen.

The first Lustmord record I got was Where the black stars... so that will be my suggestion here.

Why thank you. And I've already listened to some Köner, sounded great. I believe it was something along the lines of "Nuuk". And I own a collaboration record between Bass Communion (Steven Wilson), Colin Potter and Jonathan Coleclough. Deep, deep drones.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 8:42 pm
I'm not sure if this helps, but my favorite album has always been carbon/core. I think its his darkest record.

I'm not even joking, the first time I heard "sublimination" I was terrified.

Edit: Also, I recommend giving the groups Atrium Carceri, Forgotten Ruins, and Cities Last Broadcast a listen.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 12:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 32Location: WalesJoined: April 23rd, 2007, 4:46 am
My first introduction was 'Zoetrope' - still my favourite, but I also really enjoy Stalker, Where the Black Stars Hang, [Beyond] and Dark Places of the Earth.

Zoetrope can also be watched ON DVD - Highly recommended too.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2010, 3:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 7Joined: January 28th, 2010, 11:41 pm
I'm still preferential to 'Heresy'. It just has a lot of grime and dirt to it and a much more natural feel than some later work. Though it doesn't contain my favorite Lustmord track, which is "Metastatic Resonance" off of 'The Place Where the Black Stars Hang'.

I am not an immense fan of ambient in that I don't listen to many different artists. I try to steer clear of having a lot of records from one particular area of music if there isn't a lot of difference. Lustmord has a certain construction style I am attracted to and I haven't found many other genrefied 'ambient' artists who rival him at said, specific, style.

However, if you're into Aidan Baker I would assume you know ARC, but if you don't, I highly recommend them. I'm also listening to Akira Rabelais quite a bit now, as well as Devin Townsend's 'Devlab' and 'The Hummer', all of which are spatially aware, sound construction records but very different from Lustmord. I second BJ Nilsen. Interesting fellow. You might also be interested in Aaron Turner's project House of Low Culture and Justin K Broadrick's Final.