<  TechPrime  ~  altiverb vs. space designer

PostPosted: December 13th, 2005, 6:58 pm
User avatarPosts: 10Location: bostonJoined: November 29th, 2005, 7:11 pm
hey b,

have you played around at all with space designer and IRs in logic pro?

how do they compare with altiverb? do you find altiverb has higher quality or just a different sound that you prefer?

james

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 13th, 2005, 8:54 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Altiverb is better, and I don't bother using Space Designer. Altiverb is better than any convulsion reverb that I've compared it too. The impulse responses are particularly good, nobody else compares.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 18th, 2005, 7:59 pm
I was wondering if you had a chance yet to try WizooVerb? Being on a PC I think this is the only thing I would buy that would compete with Altiverb till Altiverb is ported over to the PC.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 18th, 2005, 8:48 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
cic wrote:
I was wondering if you had a chance yet to try WizooVerb? Being on a PC I think this is the only thing I would buy that would compete .

I haven't tried it, Altiverb being exactly what I need. I'll see if I can get a copy to try out.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 19th, 2005, 4:28 pm
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
B wrote:
cic wrote:
I was wondering if you had a chance yet to try WizooVerb? Being on a PC I think this is the only thing I would buy that would compete .

I haven't tried it, Altiverb being exactly what I need. I'll see if I can get a copy to try out.

I've heard a lot of good things about altiverb, too bad I'm a PC person ;).

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: February 15th, 2006, 8:24 pm
Posts: 5Location: Toronto, OntarioJoined: December 27th, 2005, 12:35 am
Anyone had a chance to try Waves IR1 Convolution Reverb? If so, how did you like it compared to other C-Reverbs?

I haven't had requisite exposure to Altiverb or Wizooverb to form any personal preferance, but my experience with IR1 has been very rewarding thus far.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 15th, 2006, 9:12 pm
][ wrote:
Anyone had a chance to try Waves IR1 Convolution Reverb? If so, how did you like it compared to other C-Reverbs?

I have it but never use it. It's "OK" but isn't close to Altiverb.

And AudioEase just keep on releasing exceptional impulse responses for Altiverb.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 16th, 2006, 10:42 am
Posts: 5Location: Toronto, OntarioJoined: December 27th, 2005, 12:35 am
B, do you create your own impulse responses? I'm curious since I recall reading about your attempt to record using the natural reverb of a cavern and it struck me that the unsatisfying results it yeilded at the time could perhaps form the basis for some good IRs, or a similar experiment would benefit your current setup.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 16th, 2006, 11:09 am
][ wrote:
B, do you create your own impulse responses?

I haven't yet, but I plan too eventually. Just need to invest in a couple of decent microphones.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 10th, 2006, 9:56 pm
Posts: 12Location: San Francisco, CAJoined: April 1st, 2006, 11:47 pm
Wizooverb is lame. It's a resource hog, and doesn't sound anywhere near altiverb.

A great convolution plugin for PC is Voxengo Pristine Space. It gives you tons of control. I've gotten very good results. It sounds up there with the older versions of Altiverb. The new altiverb is incredible. The research they put into tail decay manipulation is insane!

Other than that, convolution reverb just lacks something to me. TC Electronics M4000, high-end Lexicon, and Eventide stuff blows my mind. IR verbs are great for realistic sources like orchestral works. I couldn't live without them there. When I'm doing electronic music I tend to lean toward high end digital reverb, and creative use of delays.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 6:03 am
I assume you guys know that Altiverb for Windows XP is imminent (as in any day now).
But then, why would anybody want to work with a Microsoft product ? :)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 13th, 2006, 6:03 pm
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
B wrote:
I assume you guys know that Altiverb for Windows XP is imminent (as in any day now).

That's music to my ear (Altiverb on PC)

now if only I had money

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: April 18th, 2006, 9:14 pm
Posts: 12Location: San Francisco, CAJoined: April 1st, 2006, 11:47 pm
B wrote:

I didn't know about that. That is great news.

I have no problems working with a Microsoft product, as long as it's using an Intel hardware. I don't have any problems with mine. :wink: