Author Message

<  TechPrime  ~  low budget synth?

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2006, 8:09 pm
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
I'm looking at getting a synth in the near future (in th 400 price range) I've gotten a lot of recc. to get a microkorg and one person said he prefers the alesis micron? anyone have any suggestions?


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: February 24th, 2006, 6:27 am
User avatarPosts: 3Location: FranceJoined: January 5th, 2006, 6:53 pm
The choice of a synth depends on the kind of sounds you're looking for... The Microkorg and the Micron are not the only synths in this price range, did you check some others?



_________________
Close your Eyes ... Walk the Dunes
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 24th, 2006, 7:57 am
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
S2.0 wrote:
The choice of a synth depends on the kind of sounds you're looking for... The Microkorg and the Micron are not the only synths in this price range, did you check some others?


no thats another thing I need to do.

Im going to mostly be doing drones and bursts of noise.


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: February 24th, 2006, 6:05 pm
User avatarPosts: 3Location: FranceJoined: January 5th, 2006, 6:53 pm
Well, my advise would be to have a look at another synth...



_________________
Close your Eyes ... Walk the Dunes
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 27th, 2006, 11:28 am
Posts: 61Joined: November 26th, 2005, 2:58 pm
I wouldn't necessarily outright disregard the MicroKorg as an option, I actually own both it and the Micron (along with an Access Virus B and Yamaha DX200 for FM sounds), and I've been able to get some nicely droning sounds with the Korg, as well as noisier results... you'd likely need to get an external multi-effects processor with an emphasis on reverb for optimal results. 'course the other option is to save more money and get a more expensive synth


Offline Profile
PostPosted: March 4th, 2006, 6:51 am
Posts: 28Location: AZJoined: November 26th, 2005, 9:46 am
If anyone is into kit building they might want to give this a try. $30 for the circuit board but you have to buy the parts and case yourself. It's probably the cheapest way to own a real analog synth these days. I'm planning on buying one soon. From what I gather you'll have to have something that sends CV to control it.
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth/SOUNDLABMINISYNTH/soundlab.html


Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 4th, 2006, 3:20 pm
Posts: 61Joined: November 26th, 2005, 2:58 pm
that's a pretty nice little synth for the cost, not necessarily too deep or complex, but if you're doing more experimental type music it should be more than adequate.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 12:06 am
Posts: 12Location: San Francisco, CAJoined: April 1st, 2006, 11:47 pm
I realize this thread is fairly old, but I wouldn't go for a modern synth if I were you. I'd get a Roland Juno 106 for the drones and what not. If you want something with tons of grit try to pick up an old Sequential Circuits Pro One.



_________________
Aaron Marshall - Composer / Producer
http://noct.us/
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 7th, 2006, 9:04 pm
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
just now seeing some of the replies to this and thanks everyone I'm looking into all the suggestions.

I've talked to different people about the korg and I will most likely be getting on shortly, but whos to say I wont do other things as well. I have a nice effect box a friend gave me a few months back that someone was going to throw out and all it needed was a new battery, its got reverb,chorus,flanger,etc. etc. and you can make your own presets as well as the 100 or so it already has.


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: April 10th, 2006, 9:23 pm
Posts: 12Location: San Francisco, CAJoined: April 1st, 2006, 11:47 pm
I have to advise against the Korg. Do you want to know what I would do in your situation? I'd take the $400 and buy Spectrasonics Atmosphere, or USB Ultra Focus softsynths. It will out power the Korg by at least 100x. If you still need a keyboard, look into getting a cheap controller of some sort.

One Korg I highly recommend is the Z1. It's an older synth from like 95' but for pads you'll have a hard time beating it. It's quite possibly Korg's best synth. It's based on physical modeling. Those Alesis Microns, and Microkorgs sound cheap. Most softsynths will blow them out of the water sonically.

Having the want or need for hands on is admirable. If you need a synth to learn on, go for a used Roland Juno 106 on eBay. Even if you don't go that route, go with an original Access Virus, or Virus B. Just don't get one of those cheap new Korgs.



_________________
Aaron Marshall - Composer / Producer
http://noct.us/
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 11th, 2006, 5:28 am
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
Noct wrote:
I have to advise against the Korg. Do you want to know what I would do in your situation? I'd take the $400 and buy Spectrasonics Atmosphere, or USB Ultra Focus softsynths. It will out power the Korg by at least 100x. If you still need a keyboard, look into getting a cheap controller of some sort.

One Korg I highly recommend is the Z1. It's an older synth from like 95' but for pads you'll have a hard time beating it. It's quite possibly Korg's best synth. It's based on physical modeling. Those Alesis Microns, and Microkorgs sound cheap. Most softsynths will blow them out of the water sonically.

Having the want or need for hands on is admirable. If you need a synth to learn on, go for a used Roland Juno 106 on eBay. Even if you don't go that route, go with an original Access Virus, or Virus B. Just don't get one of those cheap new Korgs.


I use soft synths at home (for studio work) but I'm most definately not using my computer in a live setting. I will look into the stuff you reccomended though. I've actually heard the microkorg put to pretty good use before...


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: April 18th, 2006, 9:30 pm
Posts: 12Location: San Francisco, CAJoined: April 1st, 2006, 11:47 pm
stasis wrote:

I use soft synths at home (for studio work) but I'm most definately not using my computer in a live setting. I will look into the stuff you reccomended though. I've actually heard the microkorg put to pretty good use before...


Oh yeah, I'm sure you could squeeze some pretty decent sounds out of it or about anything. My main concern for you is the overall build quality, the resell value, and the usefulness of it as a tool as your sound evolves.

The Microkorg and Micro would be like buying a brand new Yugo car. Yeah sure it would have that new car smell. It would get you from point A to point B, but damn you'd look like a dweeb driving it around. The longterm quality and resell value would be awful. Then think; for the same amount of money you could get a slightly older Honda or Toyota that would last for a LONG time if you kept the oil changed.

Definitely look into my reccomendations. I've been around synths for a long time.

If you must get a Microkorg or Micron; at the very least look for a used one. Don't pay full retail.



_________________
Aaron Marshall - Composer / Producer
http://noct.us/
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 19th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
Noct wrote:
stasis wrote:

I use soft synths at home (for studio work) but I'm most definately not using my computer in a live setting. I will look into the stuff you reccomended though. I've actually heard the microkorg put to pretty good use before...


Oh yeah, I'm sure you could squeeze some pretty decent sounds out of it or about anything. My main concern for you is the overall build quality, the resell value, and the usefulness of it as a tool as your sound evolves.

The Microkorg and Micro would be like buying a brand new Yugo car. Yeah sure it would have that new car smell. It would get you from point A to point B, but damn you'd look like a dweeb driving it around. The longterm quality and resell value would be awful. Then think; for the same amount of money you could get a slightly older Honda or Toyota that would last for a LONG time if you kept the oil changed.

Definitely look into my reccomendations. I've been around synths for a long time.

If you must get a Microkorg or Micron; at the very least look for a used one. Don't pay full retail.


Andrew liles certainly doesn't look like a dweeb with one but I know what you mean ;)

I've actually been looking at novation k stations as well, they go pretty cheap on ebay and they have more features than the korg and micron do.


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: April 20th, 2006, 4:49 pm
Posts: 12Location: San Francisco, CAJoined: April 1st, 2006, 11:47 pm
stasis wrote:

I've actually been looking at novation k stations as well, they go pretty cheap on ebay and they have more features than the korg and micron do.


Eww man, Novation K station? That's another junk synth. It is better than the Microkorg or Micron. I like the sound of the older real analog Novation bass stations.

Andrew Liles also has a Roland SH-101 (google is great eh?). Now that's a thick and versastile mono synth. If what Andrew Liles owns is what your decision is based on, get an SH101. Well, it's not really good for pads if you want to multi-layers live. It can do some pretty good fx.



_________________
Aaron Marshall - Composer / Producer
http://noct.us/
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: April 20th, 2006, 4:53 pm
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
Noct wrote:
stasis wrote:

I've actually been looking at novation k stations as well, they go pretty cheap on ebay and they have more features than the korg and micron do.


Eww man, Novation K station? That's another junk synth. It is better than the Microkorg or Micron. I like the sound of the older real analog Novation bass stations.

Andrew Liles also has a Roland SH-101 (google is great eh?). Now that's a thick and versastile mono synth. If what Andrew Liles owns is what your decision is based on, get an SH101. Well, it's not really good for pads if you want to multi-layers live. It can do some pretty good fx.


well thanks for the additional info, but actually I'm not basing what I buy soley on what anyone owns.


Offline Profile YIM

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours
Page 1 of 1
15 posts
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
cron