<  Deep Prime  ~  question for a paper...

PostPosted: November 26th, 2005, 10:32 am
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
I'm working on a paper for a school project and it's on how websites help bands without big label support sell their music. I know its pretty obivous the hows/whys etc. but we have to have various sources. I've got a few ones but if you could give me something to throw in there (your opinion on the matter) that would be cool

(hope I posted this in the right place)

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: November 26th, 2005, 10:44 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Can you be a little more specific about exactly what you'd like to know ?
- I don't have any real insight into the issue though, as the Lustmord site doesn't include merchandising etc.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 26th, 2005, 9:53 pm
B wrote:
Can you be a little more specific about exactly what you'd like to know ?
- I don't have any real insight into the issue though, as the Lustmord site doesn't include merchandising etc.

not a problem, well I guess your right but your stuffs sold on websites like soleilmoon (which I know you dont handle directly)

basically if you could tell me your opinion on whether or not your the internet has helped you sell cds and let people who might not of heard of you otherwise have access to your music.

hope thats clear enough I just got home from a wierd day at work, so I dont know how much sense I make... :?

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: November 27th, 2005, 3:55 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
stasis wrote:
basically if you could tell me your opinion on whether or not your the internet has helped you sell cds and let people who might not of heard of you otherwise have access to your music.

It's undoubtedly helped in spreading the word of mouth, which is usually how underground forms of music get any reputation (be it good or bad).
It does help counter the fact that there are far less avenues (independent radio and magazines) for people to hear/read about such things. Forums and newsgroups are of more use for this than established review sites imo, but I may be wrong. I'm sure that the end result is album sales.
But, the downside of the net is that people are much more likely to download and exchange an album for free than search out and buy a copy, if nothing else but because it's so easy. This has a substantial impact when it's how you both try and make a living and finance another release, so yes, it's helped get the word out and sell albums, but it's also resulted in a significant loss of sales.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 27th, 2005, 4:50 pm
B wrote:
stasis wrote:

It's undoubtedly helped in spreading the word of mouth, which is usually how underground forms of music get any reputation (be it good or bad).
It does help counter the fact that there are far less avenues (independent radio and magazines) for people to hear/read about such things. Forums and newsgroups are of more use for this than established review sites imo, but I may be wrong. I'm sure that the end result is album sales.
But, the downside of the net is that people are much more likely to download and exchange an album for free than search out and buy a copy, if nothing else but because it's so easy. This has a substantial impact when it's how you both try and make a living and finance another release, so yes, it's helped get the word out and sell albums, but it's also resulted in a significant loss of sales.

thank you very much for your input. You gave points that the other people didn't so its more than helpful.

Offline Profile YIM