<  Music  ~  ambient recommendations

PostPosted: July 10th, 2006, 8:57 am
Posts: 54Location: WyomingJoined: November 23rd, 2005, 11:02 pm
beakripped wrote:
As for what's currently available, I'd recommend the Soliloquy for Lilith boxset, Rock n Roll Station (recently reissued by Beta Lactam), Soundpooling, all three volumes of Angry Eelectric Finger...

Nurse With Wound is supposed to reissue a bunch of albums in the near future, however a few older titles are still available at half-decent prices on EBay. (There's a Swedish seller, forget the ID, though.) Amongst these albums I'd recommend, without hesitation, Merzbild Schwet and A Missing Sense.

just got the jnana records newsletter and apparently and awkard pause is being reiussed in either sept. or oct.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: July 10th, 2006, 8:58 am
shipwreckage wrote:
Thank you guys very much for the help with NWW. Hopefully I can find some of these records available online. I wish the NWW site at brainwashed would sell his work...it seems like it would be much easier than going all over the place just to find one or two here and there - although maybe thats the way he likes it.

Anyone ever gone all out and researched any or all of the names on the infamous NWW list? I read it the other day and found that I actually own a good number of the records on there, which was surprising - at least most of the krautrock albums. There were some, however, that I had never seen before....just wondering if anyone else has gotten into the NWW list enough to find some really worthwhile stuff in it.

Ryan

if you google NWW list theres sites that analize some of the obscure ones but I forget urls www.soleilmoon.com sells quite a bit of NWW cds, also www.jnanarecords.com releases some of the new ones.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 5:09 pm
Posts: 1Location: Melbourne, AustraliaJoined: July 10th, 2006, 7:36 pm
I highly recommend Chicago musician/painter Heath Yonaites.

I've been a fan for years and he creates some of the most original works around. His "Rim Of The Sun" is one of the best ambient works I've heard. He meticulously creates the artwork for each album too. Each release has its own landscape. Very thought provoking stuff.

Check out his site for samples: www.yonaites.com

Thanks, Zac.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 13th, 2006, 9:26 am
Re: Nurse List

Steven Stapleton has admitted in the past that a few of the names in the Nurse List were made up.

And about the brainwashed site: it's not run by Steven.

There are currently three major sources for Nurse With Wound titles:

1. www.jnanarecords.com (North American) and www.durtro.com (UK)
2. blrrecords.com (Beta Lactam Records in Portland OR)
3. icrdistribution.com (ICR run by Colin Potter)

I suggest subscribing to each distributer's respective newsletters in order to be notified when an album is released, reissued or for a heads up when special/rare editions are made available... if that's your sorta thing.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 10:10 am
User avatarPosts: 8Location: Sarasota, FLJoined: January 29th, 2006, 12:52 pm
Two of my personal favorites for dark ambient:

1.) Halo Manash - from Finland, this is probably some of the "darkest" ambient I have heard in my own opinion, CD called Par Antra I - Vir is the one I'm referring to, you should just read the description of it on their website in the discography section

2.) Raison d'Etre - from Sweden, plenty dark, tends to use some Gregorian chant in the background and here and there which is what interested me in the first place, I have 5 of his CDs but tend to always go back to In Sadness, Silence and Solitude

Either of those I would recommend highly without a moments hesitation.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 10:30 am
beakripped wrote:
Re: Nurse List

Steven Stapleton has admitted in the past that a few of the names in the Nurse List were made up.

And about the brainwashed site: it's not run by Steven.

yes but its amazing how many of them are real!

I think website maintenance is beyond someone who doesnt even use email :D

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 9:58 am
User avatarPosts: 1Location: U.S.Joined: August 27th, 2006, 9:13 pm
beakripped wrote:
Final 3 was released a couple weeks ago. I'm doing my best not to overplay it but I'm in love with the textures.

I have to agree. Beyond the work of our benevolent host, Broadrick's sounds are definately among my favorites.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2006, 11:32 pm
Posts: 11Location: SoCalJoined: November 28th, 2005, 1:42 am
I've gotta second the recommendations for Raison d'etre, Inade, Troum, I. Corax, and Halo Manash. I'll throw out a few names I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Ah Cama-Sotz - Murder Themes & Terra Infernalis
Camanecroszcope - Echoes ov Those Who Lieth Dead But Ever Dreameth
Michael Stearns - Sorcerer
Atrium Carceri - Seishinbyouin ...actually, any of their releases will do.
Desiderii Marginis - Deadbeat
Apoptose - Nordland
Dwight Ashley - Four
Irem of Pillars - As the Sun Darkens
Conversations About the Light - Postmeridian And Weary
Coph Nia - Shape Shifter (caution, though: fair amount of dialogue)
Maeror Tri - Myein
Kammarheit - The Starwheel
Iszoloscope - Les Gorges des Limbes
Oophoi - The Dreams of Shells
Mathias Grassow & Klaus Wiese - Mercurius
Steve Roach - Possible Planet
Robert Rich - A Troubled Resting Place
Morthond - This Crying Age
TUU & Nick Parkin - Terma
Northaunt - The Ominous Silence (not ambient all the time, but very moody)

Also, though not strictly ambient, I'd recommend Tyler Bates' score for The Devil's Rejects. Dark, crazy stuff.

*Edit: I do believe this is the forum's 666th post. Do I...do I win something?

on which intentions fall.
Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 10th, 2006, 6:49 am
good call on the Atrium Carceri, and along with the recommendation for Robert Rich - A Troubled Resting Place, I'd throw in Below Zero as well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 10th, 2006, 11:53 am
Posts: 11Location: SoCalJoined: November 28th, 2005, 1:42 am
Ah, yes. Also very good. "Star Maker" is awesome.

on which intentions fall.
Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 19th, 2006, 3:47 am
Posts: 3Location: FinlandJoined: September 7th, 2006, 3:36 am
I would like to add some of my favourite acts, they're not just like Lustmord and their style differ very much of it, but i think they're superb in this kind of music.

Schloss Tegal: USA based ambient/industrial/noise project which uses lot's of samples,field recordings etc. This "band" has made so many good albums over the years.

Herbst9: German based ambient/ritual-ethno music.The soundscapes that this band creates is something beyond the words. Their records take you way back to the ancient times. When you listen them with your headphones and close you eyes, you can almost feel the sensation of rituals and see the archaic temples around you ;).

Kerovnian: This project no longer exists and it's sad. They recorded two albums of pure sonic "darkness". The sounds of this project are so scary that you can almost feel the presence of something supranormal entity while you listening it. I think that music of this project can be compared to Lustmord's Monstrous soul album, it has same kind of "ominous and demonic" feeling on it. I think that both albums are sold out, but you can find them on internet in mp3 format or you can hunt these records in ebay or some place else.

Others have already recommended some good stuff especially Inade,Yen Pox,Troum/Maeror Tri etc. Hopefully this information will guide you into the fascinating world of sounds :).

-Terror

PostPosted: September 25th, 2006, 3:55 pm
Terror wrote:
Kerovnian: This project no longer exists and it's sad. They recorded two albums of pure sonic "darkness". The sounds of this project are so scary that you can almost feel the presence of something supranormal entity while you listening it. I think that music of this project can be compared to Lustmord's Monstrous soul album, it has same kind of "ominous and demonic" feeling on it. I think that both albums are sold out, but you can find them on internet in mp3 format or you can hunt these records in ebay or some place else.

-Terror

Manifold Records http://www.manifoldrecords.com/product.html?pid=47 still shows From The Depths Of Haron as being in stock.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 26th, 2006, 4:46 am
I love Manifold Records.

I think Vince stashes albums he knows will gain notoriety, then sells them cheaper than EBay retailers when they go out of print. That's how I finally got Sleep Research Facility's 'Nostromo' after it went out...

It goes without saying that I second the Kerovnian recommendation. I've raved about his two albums so much in the past that I don't think it's necessary for me to continue. Get those two and the one album that Aghast released on Cold Meat in '95 and you won't need any of the other "Black Ambient" albums out there.

Speaking of which... okay this isn't realy Black Ambient, but what is?... There was a Norwegian Black Metal project called Ildjarn who released several excellent albums in the 90s. Like most BM bands he incorporated ambient pieces in his later works, only his were very good! There's one track from last year's compilation "Ildjarn Is Dead" that sounds like an outtake from Coil's 'Hellraiser Themes." His last two albums, 'Hardangervidda' pts 1 and 2 get my highest recommendation for anyone interested in Biosphere.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 26th, 2006, 12:23 pm
Posts: 3Location: Binghamton, NYJoined: September 26th, 2006, 9:35 am
I saw the mention of James Plotkin so I thought I would add:

Phantomsmasher
Khanate
Sunn O)))
And the work of Stephen O'Malley

Offline Profile
PostPosted: September 27th, 2006, 4:02 am
Posts: 3Location: FinlandJoined: September 7th, 2006, 3:36 am
beakripped wrote:
Speaking of which... okay this isn't realy Black Ambient, but what is?... There was a Norwegian Black Metal project called Ildjarn who released several excellent albums in the 90s. Like most BM bands he incorporated ambient pieces in his later works, only his were very good! There's one track from last year's compilation "Ildjarn Is Dead" that sounds like an outtake from Coil's 'Hellraiser Themes." His last two albums, 'Hardangervidda' pts 1 and 2 get my highest recommendation for anyone interested in Biosphere.

I must say i'm a big "worshipper" of Ildjarns art and i like both black metal and ambient albums. But i haven't purchased those new releases or repressings of his past albums, so i haven't heard that ambient track which you mentioned.
I love Landscapes album very much, it's so beautiful in it's simplicity and those improvised tunes/drones creates an image of peaceful landscapes in your mind. I also like Hardangervidda's, they are much more professional than Landscapes album, and i think these albums are those which i can recommend firstly to usesrs of this forum.

It's amazing how Ildjarn can create such opposites through his art. The black metal albums, which he has made are manifestations of the pure primitive hate, darkness and brutality, while his ambient albums are so full of harmony and admiration towards natures beauty. I can't mention many similar artists who can accomplish such things.