<  TechPrime  ~  Decent Microphone

PostPosted: November 26th, 2005, 3:11 pm
I'm looking for a modest priced microphone for all around use. I want to be able to record simple hand drum percussion, metal hits and other bangs and clangs.

I see you use a Studio Projects C1 Microphone and I was wondering if this would do the job or not. I know a couple people who record vocals with them but they could not give me any advice since they are not that experienced with other types of recording.

Also you mind me asking what the C1's usual function in your studio is? :)

dnn.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 26th, 2005, 5:30 pm
I'm going to say the Senheizer 447 has to be one of the most versitile live and studio mic out there at a reasonable price. Audio Technica has some nice little condensors that are decent for small sounds, it's what I used mostly in the foley studio for simple things, very sensative. One of my favorites will forever be the RE20 though (cant remember who makes it, brain fart) but it's the radio talk show mic, great for low end, it's the only way to mic up a base guitar cabinet if you must.

K

Offline Profile
PostPosted: November 27th, 2005, 10:33 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
cic wrote:
I see you use a Studio Projects C1 Microphone and I was wondering if this would do the job or not. I know a couple people who record vocals with them but they could not give me any advice since they are not that experienced with other types of recording.

Also you mind me asking what the C1's usual function in your studio is? :)

I use the C1 for basic recording, some foley, voice etc that are destined for treatments and effects. It's 90% of the quality of a U87 but at a fraction of the price.
It's a good vocal mic, but if you're serious about recording vocals you should get a U87. It's not the best choice for the overall use you're looking for, something to record metal etc with. I suggest you look at the Earthworks range, most of which will be perfect fort your applications.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 27th, 2005, 11:42 am
Thanks for both of your replies, I appreciate the time. The Earthworks microphones are great but unfortunately not in my price range, hopefully in the future though.
I'm not really that concerned with recording top notch vocals atm but looking for something good enough for foley type sounds under $500.
My studio is pretty modest I'm monitoring with a pair of Yorkville YSM1i's and my audio interface is a delta 1010 if that is any clue to my budget :/

dnn.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 27th, 2005, 3:46 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
cic wrote:
I'm not really that concerned with recording top notch vocals atm but looking for something good enough for foley type sounds under $500.

Go with the C1 then, it's surprisingly good at the price, and also get a Shure SM58. You can get both for around $300.
Invest in a high-end mic latter, if you feel that you need too or the projects you work on demand it.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: November 27th, 2005, 6:55 pm
Thank you, sounds good.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2005, 12:36 am
B wrote:
cic wrote:

Go with the C1 then, it's surprisingly good at the price, and also get a Shure SM58. You can get both for around $300.
Invest in a high-end mic latter, if you feel that you need too or the projects you work on demand it.

How is a Sennheiser e855 compaired to the SM58?

dnn.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2005, 9:30 am
cic wrote:
How is a Sennheiser e855 compaired to the SM58?

I'm not familliar with the Sennheiser so can't tell you.
The 58 is such a standard mic it might be useful for you to be familiar with the characteristics of one that you'll encounter time and time again.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2005, 12:28 pm
Gotcha. Somthing I didn't really think about...

Thanks once again.

dnn.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2005, 12:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 2Location: SwedenJoined: December 2nd, 2005, 5:20 am
I just got a TSM MT87S studio microphone, and I have to say that it's pretty kickass. At least compared to the crappy stereo microphone I used before it.

It wasn't that expensive either.

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2005, 1:12 pm
Gustaf Hildebrand wrote:
kickass.

Is that one of those technical terms to use to confuse the layman ?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2005, 1:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 2Location: SwedenJoined: December 2nd, 2005, 5:20 am
Haha, well, perhaps "a clean, crisp sound which suits vocal recording" is a more describing term, eh?

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: December 20th, 2005, 4:46 pm
My friend just pointed me towards the Audio Technica AT2020. Have you any experience with this mic? They are dirt cheap so I'm pretty sketchy on picking one up. I'm going to pick up a C1 in the next week anyways though so I can start recording.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: March 16th, 2006, 4:15 am
User avatarPosts: 9Location: germanyJoined: March 16th, 2006, 3:46 am
What stereomic/matched pair would you recommend for field recording? It should be robust (e.g. against moisture) and linear over a wide frequency range.

My current preferences are:

Beyerdynamic - MCE 72 CAM (249€)
MXL 603SPR Matched Pair (289€)
Studio Projects - C4 Matched Pair (279€)

I know there are a lot good and very good mics at higher prices, but I cannot spend more than 300€ at the moment.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 12:32 am
Posts: 12Location: San Francisco, CAJoined: April 1st, 2006, 11:47 pm
Versatile mics:

The ubiquitous SM57's and SM58's. They're basically the same thing.
Oktava MK012 - Make sure you get the russian ones, not the chinese
Behringer ECM8000 - Don't laugh, but these suckers sound 90% like an earthworks mic for 10% of the cost.

You might want to stick with dynamic mics for the time being. Their sources are a tad easier to fit into a mix for a beginner. Also, remember, your mic is only as good as your preamp. If you spend tons of money on a mic and have a shabby pre, well... that's kind of like buying a really fancy lense and then having a really junky camera body.

As far as fairly inexpensive mic pres go, you might look into:

FMR RNP or a Grace 101 preamp.