<  Music  ~  "Post Metal"

PostPosted: January 15th, 2007, 1:32 pm
Posts: 167Location: EnglandJoined: December 30th, 2006, 11:44 am
B wrote:
I had to look up "post metal" but now I know :)
So many categories and sub categories constantly being made up. Hard to keep track.

Interesting to see Isis and Red Sparrows mentioned a few times.

I was actually going to ask you what you thought of the current climate of 'underground' music, considering (if you don't mind me saying!) there are seemingly many bands who are influenced by yourself at the moment? I've noticed a lot of 'alternative' bands have realised the possibilities of combining ambience with rock/metal stylings, to interesting effect. I'm not sure if you have heard of them, but the French band 'Blut Aus Nord' have really incorporated ambience in to their strange concoction of dissonance and black metal (used in very loose terms) foundations. Their recent effort, 'Mort', is some of the most interesting, esoteric music I've heard in quite some time. Even the likes of Sunn O))), especially on their recent split with Boris, seem to be experimenting a lot with trance like atmospheres, not a million miles from yourself.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 15th, 2007, 1:48 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Oceanic wrote:
I was actually going to ask you what you thought of the current climate of 'underground' music,

I don't have much insight into it as it's not something I've been actively following and I wasn't aware of much of it until recently.
Hooking up with Hydra Head has exposed me to some, and friends and acquaintances are linked (directly or otherwise) with others. I don't know which bands you're thinking of though, other than the two you mention (I've never heard of Blut Aus Nord previously, and quite frankly, something that sounds similar to what I do isn't the kind of thing I'd listen too.
I did talk with a couple of the guys with Red Sparrows recently, so I'm now familiar with them, as well as Isis who I sometimes run into socially. And I have talked with Stephen O'Malley from SunnO))) about possibly doing something with him. Other than that, it's not an area that I know particularly well, though I'm always open to new music and new ideas.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 15th, 2007, 1:58 pm
Haha, well if you listen to 'MoRT', the last thing you'll be thinking of is ambient, at least in its usual form; think fretless guitars, for example, and ridiculous chord bending. I wasn't thinking so much of bands/artists who sound exactly like you, more a case of a lot of heavy bands being more open to experiment with trancey textures and droning atmospheres. It's very interesting that you bring up Stephen O'Malley, as he is an artist I have a great deal of respect for, and his recent work with Peter Rehberg is a wicked mix of sub bass workouts and power electronics, creating a particulary unsettling overall sound. Even a band as mindbendingly heavy as Meshuggah has recently incorporated a lot more texture in to their overall structure, especially on Catch 33 (you may have heard Adam from Tool mention them, as he is a pretty huge fan!).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 15th, 2007, 10:32 pm
Posts: 11Location: Chicago, ILJoined: October 31st, 2006, 1:10 am
B wrote:
And I have talked with Stephen O'Malley from SunnO))) about possibly doing something with him.

Oh god, please! That would be amazing!

And yes, Hydra Head is an ace label, loads upon loads of amazing bands. Neurot is also very good, MGR and Red Sparowes especially.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 16th, 2007, 12:00 pm
I think the reason why 'post metal' appeals to a lot of people, is because it still retains the heaviness (indeed, moreso in some cases) of metal but displays a flare for dynamics and song composition. There is a lot more to music than 'verse-chorus-bridge-verse-chorus...' and bands like Neurosis have been consistently pushing the boundaries of metal/heavy music for the last 15 years. Like any 'movement', it will eventually fizzle out, but you will be left with a core of great bands who have a lot of variety to their sound. It just goes to show how influential Godflesh's sound has been, not just in terms of industrial music, but other sub genres of rock music, as well.

Another consistently great band are Mono.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 16th, 2007, 1:18 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Oceanic wrote:
It just goes to show how influential Godflesh's sound has been, not just in terms of industrial music

Industrial ?

!!!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 16th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Woops, It seems I have hit a nerve (; haha. Are you saying that their early releases, specifically s/t and Streetcleaner, did not have their roots firmly in the industrial aesthetic? Crumbling, decaying landscapes were a big part of their vision and, at least in my opinion, their music matched that. Granted, it was a different style to, for example, Throbbing Gristle, but it was still in the same ball park.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 16th, 2007, 3:17 pm
I have a very specific definition of what does and does not constitute industrial, and Godflesh fits in the latter camp. What came latter was (and is) far removed from the original industrial aesthetic.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 16th, 2007, 3:45 pm
That is why I mentioned their earlier releases. I tend not to narrow down to merely sound, it's also about feeling, in the same way punk is such a vague term.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 16th, 2007, 4:11 pm
Actually I don't think is a vague term at all. It, like industrial, has been way overused since it's origins that it's true meaning is lost to most people.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 16th, 2007, 9:46 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 27Location: MichiganJoined: September 6th, 2006, 1:20 pm
When I hear the term industrial I think of bands like Front242, Ministry and Nitzer Ebb.

Offline Profile WWW YIM
PostPosted: January 17th, 2007, 5:40 am
B wrote:
Actually I don't think is a vague term at all. It, like industrial, has been way overused since it's origins that it's true meaning is lost to most people.

But surely the genre has to move on? By that logic, unless you stick to certain strict blueprints, you fall outside of it. My point was; is it 100% to do with sonics, or does a certain atittude and outlook come in to it? I agree, however, that the term has been watered down over the years.

'True meaning'...

That's what I meant about the term being vague; what is industrial's true meaning and, surely, personal opinions will differ greatly? Music is impossible to quantify. If you were to ask me who one of the best punk bands in existence are, I'd have to say Darkthrone, even though a lot of people would argue that they fall way outside the genre's parameters.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 19th, 2007, 7:14 am
When I think Industrial I think Throbbing gristle, Industrial Records, Mark Pauline's explosive performance art, early Cabaret Voltaire...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 4:31 pm
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
beakripped wrote:
When I think Industrial I think Throbbing gristle, Industrial Records, Mark Pauline's explosive performance art, early Cabaret Voltaire...

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but it seems like a ton of metal fans have somehow become interested in Lustmord recently and, a number of them registered here :) A lot of these people don't seem to savvy on the roots of where stuff like Lustmord came from, and the how and why of a lot of industrial music. Ministry, for example, is just NOT a good representation of the "style". Neither is Godflesh. To be honest i don't like most of the metal bands who try to use industrial elements. Oddly enough, the majority of people think of this style of music when the word Industrial comes up.

Actually, B, what would you call your music? Most of us call it "dark ambient", but i've seen you express a distaste for that label. I know labels aren't really important, but inquiring minds want to know!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Passion Immortal wrote:
Actually, B, what would you call your music?

I don't call it anything, it is what it is, but if I'm introduced to somebody that's aware that I create music and they want to know what kind, I usually say "
weird shit" and leave it at that.

Offline Profile WWW