<  Deep Prime  ~  Surround Sound

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2005, 1:17 am
User avatarPosts: 9Location: Western AustraliaJoined: November 19th, 2005, 6:03 pm
I am sure this got asked on the last incarnation of this forum, but I'll ask it again so that we can hear answers and newbies might be able to read them too.

Mr B, what is your view of surround sound? Does it interest you from a musical point of view.

Have you done any experiements with it? Or any planned releases of it.

Of course, the problem I see is that not a huge amount of potential listeners would have a suitable surround sound setup, so producing something along that lines would become rather expensive due to limited runs etc.

But yeah, curious if you have had any experimentation with it, and if so, found it to be an interesting experience or not.

"That is not dead which eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."
Offline Profile E-mail WWW
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2005, 10:55 am
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Hmm.. this is a thread that was lost with the old forums unfortunately, but the simple answer is that yes I'm very interested in it and would like to eventually record using at least 5.1, but as you mention, the downside is that so few people have a suitable playback system. We'll get there though.

There are many things that I've done for motion pictures that are in surround btw. From a technical point of view it wouldn't be difficult for me to record Lustmord albums in surround, as too there being an audience for it is another matter.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 10th, 2005, 6:38 am
Of course with DVDs and Sony's DualDisk there's more then enough room to record a 5.1 (even 6.1) discrete and also include an LT/RT mix. Don't forget to kick up to Dobly or DTS though, as I understand it the lisence can be pretty pricey.

Between the ammount of dvds in home systems today plus computers you'd be in good shape I imagine. You trim the ammount of mp3 trade this way too.

I think I mention this business far too often and it's been addressed before, just throwing my 2 cents in. I'm still pushing a high powered 2 channel.

K

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 12th, 2008, 2:06 pm
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
What are the extra costs involved when manufacturing dvds as compared to cds? I'm thinking about stereo sound on one "track" of a dvd and a surround mix on another. Just to keep it compatible to all sound systems*. It sure would be a sweet thing to see coming from the Lustmord project.

The .1 channel wouldn't be the interesting thing here for me, as I send all frequencies below 80Hz (no matter from what channel they come), into my subwoofers. My main speakers being left with everything above 80Hz. No, the interesting thing would be the surround channels inmo.

*Maybe not playable in a cd-player, but most homes has a dvd-player which, even if the owners don't have 5.1 systems, still can play 2.0 sound.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: December 12th, 2008, 2:28 pm
User avatarAdminPosts: 612Location: Los AngelesJoined: November 19th, 2005, 10:22 am
Surround modes automatically routes and purely stereo content to the left and right (2.0) channels only
so a stereo track would be redundant.

Low frequency is allocated to the 0.1 (Bass) channel during the mix stage. All the end user has (limited) control over is the crossover frequency.

DVD manufacturing isn't that much more expensive, but mastering/authoring is.

At the moment there just aren't enough people into this kind of music with a surround playback system to make it worthwhile.
Add to that the problem of illegal downloads and it's even less feasible financially at this stage unfortunately.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: December 12th, 2008, 3:25 pm
Posts: 57Location: SwedenJoined: March 14th, 2008, 1:27 pm
Thanks for the reply!

About the .1 channel: I thought it was an effect channel more than anything else (to be assigned with for example a +10dB level compared to normal level), but that there is no "need" for the lower frequencies to be put there. They could just as well be mixed into the FL and FR channels. Is this wrong? From what I know the .1 channel is always mono, but LFE don't have to be. I might be confused here. It really is an exciting subject I would like to know more about.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for something surround related from Lustmord in the future of course. Until then, stereo is just fine (and a might fine thing it is when done right).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: February 6th, 2009, 2:42 pm
This is kind of off topic but i was curious to ask you something B. You've been around for a pretty long time now and you've seen lots things in your time. So my question is, do you ever see 5.1/7.1 surround being more utilized in music? Maybe even entire genres that emerge from the use of surround sound over stereo? I think it'd be really neat especially from your type of music or more electronic music. Also by any chance have you listened to NIN The Downward Spiral, or The Dark Side of The Moon in 5.1, very interesting to see those albums redone in the surround sound environment.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2009, 3:09 pm
I have no idea visceral, though I'd certainly like to see (hear) things go in that direction.
There are so many factors involved, most of hem relating to consumer and industry trends, the like of which aren't influenced by recordings (see the recent failure of higher sample rate audio formats).

I didn't know NIN had released a surround album, but them, I've never found them interesting and don't follow what they do.
There was a Quadraphonic version of Dark Side of the Moon available though I've never heard it (it's not to my taste) and Pink Floyd did deploy a quad speaker live setup during that period, and since for all I know.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: February 6th, 2009, 6:56 pm
Have you experimented with writing in the 5.1/7.1 environment? I think your music would be incredible in that realm. All those channels along with a subwoofer, i can't even imagine how that would sound.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2009, 11:33 pm
I've worked on a few motion picture projects = surround.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 12:29 pm
Posts: 47Location: CanadaJoined: December 3rd, 2005, 11:04 am
I have found in my experiences with surround sound, that given almost any budget i can think of, even "sky's the limit" style setups, It is more rewarding to dump all of that into a 2 channel system. Good 2 channel is 3D enough when it's done properly... I almost see surround sound as an attempt to image better, but not bother trying to actually improve the quality of sound. At one point i had about 40k invested in my 2 channel setup, and not for a second did i feel i should've gone surround. Much prefer sonic realism to less-defined sound everywhere. Plus think of the phase issues! It's not as simple as plopping down some speakers and it's all good.

Offline Profile WWW